*Stevie Wonder surprised graduates at Tulane University with an impromptu performance of his hit “You Are The Sunshine of My Life,” during ceremonies at which he also received an honorary degree, reports the AP.
Nobel Laureate Walter Gilbert and award-winning journalist Cokie Roberts also received degrees during Thursday’s commencement exercises for 2,300 students. New York Times columnist and Pulitzer Prize winning author Thomas Friedman was the keynote speaker.
As Michael White’s Original Liberty Jazz Band and singer Topsy Chapman performed “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans,” Wonder unexpectedly added his harmonica magic to the song. He also briefly addressed the graduates and recited the words of a new song he’s penned called “Ten Billion Hearts.”
University spokesman Michael Strecker says the audience received an “unexpected treat.”
- ‘Being Mary Jane’ Season 3 to Feature Loretta Devine and Jill Scott (WATCH)
- Teen About to Start College, Accidentally Kills Himself Taking Selfie (Watch)
- Serena Highlighted with Inspirational Commercial and Mural (WATCH)
- Trump Casino Worker: Blacks Hidden When the Donald Visited
- Fox News' Megyn Kelly Goes in on #BlackLivesMatter Supporter (WATCH)
- People of Note: Jazz at Lincoln Center Opens their 28th Season in the Bronx
- The Great American Phone Lease...
- THE (09-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kim Coles' Fairytale Wedding Set to Air on WEtv
- Brooklyn Woman Accepts Meager $10K for Cops' Harassment Over Dead Husband
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here