*Stevie Wonder surprised graduates at Tulane University with an impromptu performance of his hit “You Are The Sunshine of My Life,” during ceremonies at which he also received an honorary degree, reports the AP.
Nobel Laureate Walter Gilbert and award-winning journalist Cokie Roberts also received degrees during Thursday’s commencement exercises for 2,300 students. New York Times columnist and Pulitzer Prize winning author Thomas Friedman was the keynote speaker.
As Michael White’s Original Liberty Jazz Band and singer Topsy Chapman performed “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans,” Wonder unexpectedly added his harmonica magic to the song. He also briefly addressed the graduates and recited the words of a new song he’s penned called “Ten Billion Hearts.”
University spokesman Michael Strecker says the audience received an “unexpected treat.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here