*Stevie Wonder surprised graduates at Tulane University with an impromptu performance of his hit “You Are The Sunshine of My Life,” during ceremonies at which he also received an honorary degree, reports the AP.
Nobel Laureate Walter Gilbert and award-winning journalist Cokie Roberts also received degrees during Thursday’s commencement exercises for 2,300 students. New York Times columnist and Pulitzer Prize winning author Thomas Friedman was the keynote speaker.
As Michael White’s Original Liberty Jazz Band and singer Topsy Chapman performed “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans,” Wonder unexpectedly added his harmonica magic to the song. He also briefly addressed the graduates and recited the words of a new song he’s penned called “Ten Billion Hearts.”
University spokesman Michael Strecker says the audience received an “unexpected treat.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Duane and Tisha Campbell-Martin Ordered to Turn Over ‘Dr. Ken’ Paychecks
- Cardell Hayes Gets Indicted in Former NFL Player Will Smith's Murder
- Doc Rivers Tearfully Remembers His Mother; Bankrupt: Petey Pablo
- HUD to Sue Landlords if They Deny Housing Over Criminal Records
- Wendy Williams, Steve Harvey, 'The Real' Score Emmy Nominations
- Fetty Wap Sends 'Wake Up' Message to Graduates
- John Wayne's Racist Comments Kill Official Recognition in California Assembly
- Dr. Phil Talks Prince, Nick Gordon & Prescription Drug Epidemic (WATCH)
- THE (04-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Beyoncé Partners with Amex & Uber for 'Formation' Fan Experience
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here