*Kenya Bell, former Miss Michigan USA and wife of NBA star Charlie Bell, released a statement today through her lawyers addressing domestic violence charges filed against her this week, reports the Flint Journal.
Kenya Bell is accused of attacking the Golden State Warriors guard with a box cutter Sunday in his Grand Blanc Township home, according to the Genesee County Prosecutor’s Office.
She released the following statement through lawyers Jeremy Piper and Matthew Norwood:
“It is with regret that I have to issue a public statement regarding my marriage. For some time now my husband and I have been going through the process of getting a divorce. Like many couples, our relationship has deteriorated over time. Throughout this process I have always considered the interests of our children to be front and center. Unfortunately this private matter has spilled from one court to another, where I expect to be vindicated. For my family’s sake I would ask that our privacy be respected. Thank-you, Kenya Bell”
Norwood said Kenya Bell is denying the incident occurred as portrayed in reports on the charges.
“She’s looking forward to vindicating herself,” he said. “It’s sad. If anybody knows Mrs. Bell, they know that this isn’t who she is. …It’s not the way it’s been portrayed.”
Kenya Bell was arraigned in Genesee District Court on Monday on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon and domestic violence, according to court records. She was released on $5,000 bond.
Charlie Bell, a Flint native and former Michigan State University basketball star, on Tuesday commented via Twitter: “I’m fine. I didn’t get stabbed. LOL.”
The Flint Southwestern Academy graduate, along with fellow “Flintstones” Mateen Cleaves of Flint Northern and Morris Peterson of Flint Northwestern led the 2000 Spartans team that captured the school’s first national basketball championship since 1979.
Kenya Bell, 35, was crowned Miss Michigan USA in 2001.
The couple appeared last year in an episode of VH1’s “Basketball Wives.” Kenya said at the time that she and her husband worked hard to build “family respect and trust for each other.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here