*Kenya Bell, former Miss Michigan USA and wife of NBA star Charlie Bell, released a statement today through her lawyers addressing domestic violence charges filed against her this week, reports the Flint Journal.
Kenya Bell is accused of attacking the Golden State Warriors guard with a box cutter Sunday in his Grand Blanc Township home, according to the Genesee County Prosecutor’s Office.
She released the following statement through lawyers Jeremy Piper and Matthew Norwood:
“It is with regret that I have to issue a public statement regarding my marriage. For some time now my husband and I have been going through the process of getting a divorce. Like many couples, our relationship has deteriorated over time. Throughout this process I have always considered the interests of our children to be front and center. Unfortunately this private matter has spilled from one court to another, where I expect to be vindicated. For my family’s sake I would ask that our privacy be respected. Thank-you, Kenya Bell”
Norwood said Kenya Bell is denying the incident occurred as portrayed in reports on the charges.
“She’s looking forward to vindicating herself,” he said. “It’s sad. If anybody knows Mrs. Bell, they know that this isn’t who she is. …It’s not the way it’s been portrayed.”
Kenya Bell was arraigned in Genesee District Court on Monday on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon and domestic violence, according to court records. She was released on $5,000 bond.
Charlie Bell, a Flint native and former Michigan State University basketball star, on Tuesday commented via Twitter: “I’m fine. I didn’t get stabbed. LOL.”
The Flint Southwestern Academy graduate, along with fellow “Flintstones” Mateen Cleaves of Flint Northern and Morris Peterson of Flint Northwestern led the 2000 Spartans team that captured the school’s first national basketball championship since 1979.
Kenya Bell, 35, was crowned Miss Michigan USA in 2001.
The couple appeared last year in an episode of VH1’s “Basketball Wives.” Kenya said at the time that she and her husband worked hard to build “family respect and trust for each other.”
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Aretha Franklin Sues to Block ‘Amazing Grace’ Screening at Telluride
- Pitbull Announces Date of His ‘Empire’ Episode and Jussie Smollett Duet (Listen)
- Watch Chilling New Trailer for Idris Elba’s ‘Beasts of No Nation’
- EUR Q&A: Carl Pittman, Black Conservative, 'Offended' By Black Lives Matter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here