*The birther movement against President Obama may have died down in the wake of his birth certificate being released, but Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain is now shifting the focus to where he was raised — and Cain says it was in Kenya.
The suggestion from the former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza came during an interview with Bloomberg View columnist Jeffrey Goldberg last week in an exchange about why the GOP hopeful doesn’t consider himself an African American, reports the Huffington Post.
“I am an American. Black. Conservative,” he said in explaining his view on the matter. “I don’t use African American, because I’m American, I’m black and I’m conservative. I don’t like people trying to label me. African American is socially acceptable for some people, but I am not some people.”
Cain said that he considers himself to be “a black man in America” and feels stronger ties to the United States than to Africa. He suggested his perspective has been informed by the fact that he can trace most of his ancestors to the U.S. and it also “goes back to slavery.”
The presidential contender went on to draw a contrast between himself and the president, who he described as “more of an international,” before suggesting “he was raised in Kenya.”
In an interview with The Atlantic’s Joshua Green at the Conservative Political Action Conference earlier this year, Cain was asked whether he believes Obama was born in the United States.
“I have no idea,” he said at the time. “The fact that it has become an issue, or a controversy, does raise a question that I can’t say that I feel one way or the other because I have not reviewed all the various ‘proof’ one way or another.”
While Cain has generally been regarded as a longshot contender in the race for the Republican presidential nomination, recent polls show the GOP hopeful making headway in his pursuit of the White House.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Supermarkets: Please 'Assume' We Would 'Like a Bag' (Unless We Say Different)
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Wives 'Having 2 Much Fun on Vacay' (Watch)
- How Prince Ended Up on Mobb Deep's Track ‘Thou Shall Not Kill’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here