*Super star tennis player, Serena Williams revealed that the mysterious illness that plagued her earlier this year nearly killed her.
“I’m so excited to be back,” she told the BBC. “I was on my death bed at one point — quite literally.”
Williams is currently in the UK gearing up to compete in the Eastbourne’s Aegon International.
The near death illness’s source is unknown, but she suggested it could have stemmed from a cut on her foot.
“To this day, I don’t really know the full details of what happened,” she said. “I was with my nephew and my hitting partner and we were just leaving a restaurant. I was walking and just felt something. I kept walking and it was definitely glass there. There was a massive puddle of blood. I ended up fainting and needed stitches in both feet.”
That’s when everything spiraled almost out of control.
“At first, people said it would be fine, it would be all right but it turned out to be a lot more serious,” she said. “If it had been left two days later it could have been career-ending — or even worse. They told me I had several blood clots in both lungs. A lot of people die from that.”
She continued, explaining that her injury became overwhelmingly difficult both mentally and physically to deal with.
But fortunately, she’s back to normal and back to playing her favorite sport.
“This has given me a whole new perspective on life and my career — and not taking anything for granted,” she said. “I’m just taking one day at a time. I’m not preparing for today or for Wimbledon. I’m preparing for the rest of my career.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kanye West Reportedly Fired Security Guard for Trying to Talk to His Wife
- Prince Being Added to Apollo Theater’s Walk of Fame
- Jay Z To Tell ‘His Side ’ of Beyonce Marriage in New Album (Report)
- Heartbreaking: Teen Bullied on Social Media Over Her Prom Photo
- Lawrence Adjah, Founder of Our Family Dinner, Seeks to Re-Connect Millennials
- Prince Update: He was Scheduled to Meet with Addiction Doctor (Report)
- Beyoncé Announces Investment in Watermelon Sports Drink Co.
- Did You Wake Up to The Voice of 'The Rock'? You Could (Watch)
- 50 Cent Apologizes to Family of Autistic Airport Worker
- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder wants Pres. Obama to Drink Flint Water
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here