*Super star tennis player, Serena Williams revealed that the mysterious illness that plagued her earlier this year nearly killed her.
“I’m so excited to be back,” she told the BBC. “I was on my death bed at one point — quite literally.”
Williams is currently in the UK gearing up to compete in the Eastbourne’s Aegon International.
The near death illness’s source is unknown, but she suggested it could have stemmed from a cut on her foot.
“To this day, I don’t really know the full details of what happened,” she said. “I was with my nephew and my hitting partner and we were just leaving a restaurant. I was walking and just felt something. I kept walking and it was definitely glass there. There was a massive puddle of blood. I ended up fainting and needed stitches in both feet.”
That’s when everything spiraled almost out of control.
“At first, people said it would be fine, it would be all right but it turned out to be a lot more serious,” she said. “If it had been left two days later it could have been career-ending — or even worse. They told me I had several blood clots in both lungs. A lot of people die from that.”
She continued, explaining that her injury became overwhelmingly difficult both mentally and physically to deal with.
But fortunately, she’s back to normal and back to playing her favorite sport.
“This has given me a whole new perspective on life and my career — and not taking anything for granted,” she said. “I’m just taking one day at a time. I’m not preparing for today or for Wimbledon. I’m preparing for the rest of my career.”
- Naomi Campbell Convicted of Assault By Italian Court
- Whites Burst into Black Girl's Birthday Party Holding Confed Flags (Watch)
- Ice & Coco Expecting Baby Girl, Talk is Key to a Successful Marriage (VIDEO)
- Thursday's First Republican Debate Line Up Released
- Joe Jackson Out of the Hospital After Stroke
- Woman Sues Lee Daniels for $300M Claiming She Inspired Cookie Role
- Banned from Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral, Nick Gordon Mourns on Beach
- Jadeveon Clowney’s Dad Charged with Attempted Murder
- Two Dead, Several Hurt at After Party for Drake’s OVO Fest
- Former Detroit Lions RB Mel Farr Dies at 70
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here