*Actor-director Forest Whitaker will be named goodwill ambassador for peace and reconciliation for the United Nations’ educational, scientific and cultural body, UNESCO announced today.
Whitaker, who won an Oscar for his 2006 portrayal of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin Dada in “The Last King of Scotland”, is to be officially named at a ceremony on Tuesday, the UN body said in a statement.
The nomination was “in recognition of Mr. Whitaker’s humanitarian and artistic commitment. This is most visible in his projects, such as ‘Better Angels’, a film about Ugandan child soldiers,” UNESCO said.
At UNESCO, he will be tasked with helping to educate the general public and mobilize political decision makers in favor of youth programs centered on peace education, human rights and global citizenship.
- Rachel Dolezal is Pregnant
- THE (09-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Nicki Minaj Wax Figure Getting Makeover After Fans Pressure Museum
- 'Selfish' Kardashians Being Sued Over Disruptive Fireworks Show
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here