*Several weeks after “The Daily Show’s” Jon Stewart first mocked him by using a stereotypical African-American voice, Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has finally responded.
In a YouTube video posted Wednesday from a speech Cain gave a day prior, he said he wasn’t aware that Stewart made fun of him during a segment on his Comedy Central show until Sean Hannity mentioned it on his radio show.
“They played the clip,” Cain told a gathering of supporters in Iowa. “Look, I’ve been called every name in the book because I’m a conservative and because I’m black. Sticks and stones may break my bones, words are not going to hurt me.”
He continued: “I have been called ‘Uncle Tom,’ ‘sellout,’ ‘Oreo,’ ‘shameless.’ So the fact that he wants to mock me because I happen to be a black conservative – in the words of my grandfather, ‘I does not care.’ I. Does. Not. Care.”
Stewart, on his June 9 show, was riffing on Cain’s proclamation that bills should be three pages long and not 2,700-page behemoths that few people understand.
“From now on the State of the Union Address will be delivered in the form of a fortune cookie. I am Herman Cain, and I do not like to read,” Stewart said, imitating Cain’s voice and mannerisms.
During Fox News Sunday, host Chris Wallace attempted to take Stewart to task for being racially insensitive. “You planning a remake of Amos n’ Andy?” Wallace asked after playing the Comedy Central clip.
Stewart deflected: “Do you want to see my New York voice? My Chinese guy voice?”
Meanwhile, the conservative press has been going in on Stewart for several days. Radio talk-show host Larry Elder, for example, asked a week ago, “Wouldn’t Stewart and his cronies at The Daily Show have satirized any sort of conservative talk show host, like a Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, as a bigot if they had joked that President Barack Obama didn’t ‘like to read?’”
And at Andrew Breitbart’s BigHollywood.com, editor John Nolte quickly posted the Daily Show video segment along with the text: “Anyone hear a dog whistle? Reference ‘basketball’ and ‘Obama’ and you might be a racist. Mock Cain’s speaking voice and intelligence and…? Left’s rules. Not mine.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here