*Several weeks after “The Daily Show’s” Jon Stewart first mocked him by using a stereotypical African-American voice, Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has finally responded.
In a YouTube video posted Wednesday from a speech Cain gave a day prior, he said he wasn’t aware that Stewart made fun of him during a segment on his Comedy Central show until Sean Hannity mentioned it on his radio show.
“They played the clip,” Cain told a gathering of supporters in Iowa. “Look, I’ve been called every name in the book because I’m a conservative and because I’m black. Sticks and stones may break my bones, words are not going to hurt me.”
He continued: “I have been called ‘Uncle Tom,’ ‘sellout,’ ‘Oreo,’ ‘shameless.’ So the fact that he wants to mock me because I happen to be a black conservative – in the words of my grandfather, ‘I does not care.’ I. Does. Not. Care.”
Stewart, on his June 9 show, was riffing on Cain’s proclamation that bills should be three pages long and not 2,700-page behemoths that few people understand.
“From now on the State of the Union Address will be delivered in the form of a fortune cookie. I am Herman Cain, and I do not like to read,” Stewart said, imitating Cain’s voice and mannerisms.
During Fox News Sunday, host Chris Wallace attempted to take Stewart to task for being racially insensitive. “You planning a remake of Amos n’ Andy?” Wallace asked after playing the Comedy Central clip.
Stewart deflected: “Do you want to see my New York voice? My Chinese guy voice?”
Meanwhile, the conservative press has been going in on Stewart for several days. Radio talk-show host Larry Elder, for example, asked a week ago, “Wouldn’t Stewart and his cronies at The Daily Show have satirized any sort of conservative talk show host, like a Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, as a bigot if they had joked that President Barack Obama didn’t ‘like to read?’”
And at Andrew Breitbart’s BigHollywood.com, editor John Nolte quickly posted the Daily Show video segment along with the text: “Anyone hear a dog whistle? Reference ‘basketball’ and ‘Obama’ and you might be a racist. Mock Cain’s speaking voice and intelligence and…? Left’s rules. Not mine.”
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Aretha Franklin Sues to Block ‘Amazing Grace’ Screening at Telluride
- Pitbull Announces Date of His ‘Empire’ Episode and Jussie Smollett Duet (Listen)
- Watch Chilling New Trailer for Idris Elba’s ‘Beasts of No Nation’
- EUR Q&A: Carl Pittman, Black Conservative, 'Offended' By Black Lives Matter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here