*Oprah Winfrey’s cable network isn’t the only part of her media empire facing challenges.
While her young network, OWN, faces lackluster ratings, O Magazine reportedly continues to struggle with ad sales, according to stats cited by the Hollywood Reporter.
According to the Media Industry Newsletter, the magazine world as a whole has been confronted with a 7 percent ad drop for all monthlies. O – Hearst’s second-most profitable title behind Cosmopolitan – is down 31.4 percent, dropping 81.4 ad pages in August.
The New York Post reports that September’s crucial numbers saw a rebound in Vogue, In Style, Glamour and a number of other publications, but O failed to earn gains. The September issue will see 126 ad pages, an 18.2 percent fall.
“O’s ad page performance is pretty consistent with what’s going on in the women’s lifestyle category,” explained a spokesperson for the mag. “There is softness, especially in the food category, which is systemic to their business, not ours.”
“The magazine is really the purest platform for Oprah’s message, and the best place for fans who miss the show to stay engaged with the brand,” the spokesperson added.
Though the statement may be true, a former Hearst insider questioned the level of demand for Winfrey’s message.
“I think that the Oprah brand has gotten slightly weaker,” the source said. “Ratings are down significantly for the new network, and there is a sense some of the magic is gone.”
In an attempt to boost the brand, Winfrey herself has been enlisted for more promotional efforts, including an “O You” event at the Georgia Convention Center. The Atlanta function reportedly has potential to gross $725,000 if the 5,000 expected attendees each pay their $125.
Also struggling are Martha Stewart Living and EveryDay with Rachael Ray, with August numbers falling 14 and 25 percent respectively.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'It Got Better': Raven Symone Talks Sexuality & Coming Out (WATCH)
- THE (05-24-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Oscar Generale & Denny Mendez Shopping for Baby Clothes?
- Lynn Whitfield Dishes on Her Dramatic Face Off With Oprah! (WATCH)
- Yes, Wendy Williams Had Plenty to Say About the Tamar/'The Real' Situation (WATCH)
- Bombshell Report: Bill Cosby Admitted to Sex with Teens!
- Floyd Mayweather Hired Drake, Future For Daughter’s Sweet Sixteen
- Donald Trump Lists Oakland as 'Most Dangerous City in the World'
- Prince’s Heirs to Release ‘Hours and Hours’ of Vault Music
- Jada Pinkett Smith on ‘Gotham’ Return; Living in All-DC Comics Household
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here