*Jay-Z and Kanye West say they got the blessing of Otis Redding’s family to sample his track “Try a Little Tenderness” for their new single “Otis.”
Before adding the track to their upcoming joint album “Watch the Throne,” permission had to be granted from the late soul singer’s estate – looked after by his widow, Zelma Redding, and daughter Karla Redding-Andrews.
“When it was brought to us, it was quite interesting,” said Karla. “We wanted to, first of all, see the lyrics and, secondly, hear the song. We couldn’t find anything negative as it relates to the association with Otis Redding.
“My mother has protected that legacy for so many years; therefore she gave them the approval to do it.”
Karla added her family are huge fans of Jay-Z and Kanye and are pleased the rap pair will bring Redding’s music to a new generation.
She added to MTV: “It really means a lot to me, particularly to a whole new generation of young legends, because that’s what Jay-Z and Kanye are. I just think it’s wonderful to tie an old legendary artist whose music history will never die to something that they have come up with. I just think the collaboration was certainly a tribute to him, and it’s really great.”
Redding died in a plane crash in 1967 when he was just 26. The Throne’s album “Watch the Throne” is set for release on Aug. 8.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Quvenzhane Wallis' Book Deal, J-Hud Says Son 'Saved My Life'
- Patti LaBelle, Quentin Tarantino + More on 'The Big Interview'
- 18,500 Parents, Students, and Educators Rally to Demand End to 'Tale of Two School Systems' in New York City [PHOTOS]
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Universal Pictures’ Steve Jobs is a Brilliant Look into a Genius' Mind
- Raven Symone Hates Ethnic Names, Nicki Minaj Beef, Kardashian's Named 1st Family | BHL's This Week
- Jennifer Lopez to Host & Perform the '2015 American Music Awards'
- Instagram Users Post Pics of Male North West Look-alikes
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here