*Jay-Z and Kanye West say they got the blessing of Otis Redding’s family to sample his track “Try a Little Tenderness” for their new single “Otis.”
Before adding the track to their upcoming joint album “Watch the Throne,” permission had to be granted from the late soul singer’s estate – looked after by his widow, Zelma Redding, and daughter Karla Redding-Andrews.
“When it was brought to us, it was quite interesting,” said Karla. “We wanted to, first of all, see the lyrics and, secondly, hear the song. We couldn’t find anything negative as it relates to the association with Otis Redding.
“My mother has protected that legacy for so many years; therefore she gave them the approval to do it.”
Karla added her family are huge fans of Jay-Z and Kanye and are pleased the rap pair will bring Redding’s music to a new generation.
She added to MTV: “It really means a lot to me, particularly to a whole new generation of young legends, because that’s what Jay-Z and Kanye are. I just think it’s wonderful to tie an old legendary artist whose music history will never die to something that they have come up with. I just think the collaboration was certainly a tribute to him, and it’s really great.”
Redding died in a plane crash in 1967 when he was just 26. The Throne’s album “Watch the Throne” is set for release on Aug. 8.
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here