*Jay-Z and Kanye West say they got the blessing of Otis Redding’s family to sample his track “Try a Little Tenderness” for their new single “Otis.”
Before adding the track to their upcoming joint album “Watch the Throne,” permission had to be granted from the late soul singer’s estate – looked after by his widow, Zelma Redding, and daughter Karla Redding-Andrews.
“When it was brought to us, it was quite interesting,” said Karla. “We wanted to, first of all, see the lyrics and, secondly, hear the song. We couldn’t find anything negative as it relates to the association with Otis Redding.
“My mother has protected that legacy for so many years; therefore she gave them the approval to do it.”
Karla added her family are huge fans of Jay-Z and Kanye and are pleased the rap pair will bring Redding’s music to a new generation.
She added to MTV: “It really means a lot to me, particularly to a whole new generation of young legends, because that’s what Jay-Z and Kanye are. I just think it’s wonderful to tie an old legendary artist whose music history will never die to something that they have come up with. I just think the collaboration was certainly a tribute to him, and it’s really great.”
Redding died in a plane crash in 1967 when he was just 26. The Throne’s album “Watch the Throne” is set for release on Aug. 8.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Shirley Caesar Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame (Watch Full Ceremony)
- Tyrese Gibson Back as Robert Epps for ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’
- Nate Parker to Receive Sundance Institute’s Vanguard Award
- Idris Elba, Freida Pinto Set for John Ridley’s Showtime Miniseries ‘Guerrilla’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here