*Pharrell Williams is opening his own youth center in his native Virginia to provide youngsters with an outlet for their creativity.
The artist has recruited renowned architect Chad Oppenheim to create a modern tree house-style space in Virginia Beach that will provide an escape for local kids while nurturing their artistic talents.
Williams tells design magazine Wallpaper, “I wanted to provide people with the same opportunities I got. My teachers didn’t let me go until I had realized my potential. They taught me to fight my way out of a paper bag.
“Children need guidance and creative discipline and someone to be there when they fall. They also need a safe haven. At the moment, arts organizations across the U.S. are having their funding cut and we can’t let that happen. There’s so little regard for creative skills. Where would we be without design?”
Williams hopes to eventually take this project nationwide, if the Virginia launch is a success.
“This is just a prototype. If all goes well, we will look at setting it up in othr cities across the U.S. as well, such as Miami,” he said.
The eco-friendly Pharrell Williams Youth Center, which will also help to raise funds for Williams’ charity, the From One Hand to Another Foundation, is expected to open in 2012.
- Reggie Jackson Apologizes for Profane Outburst Against Fans
- 'Empire' Costars Trai Byers and Grace Gealey Set to be Married
- More Sandra Bland Video Released to Prove She Arrived Alive At Jail
- Netflix Announces Mike Epps Special, 'Chelsea Handler Does Racism’, More at TCA Press Tour
- Paul Mooney Says Bill Cosby Got His 'N****r Wake-up Call'
- Shaq Doubles Down on Pippen: ‘I Don’t Let Bums Disrespect Me’
- Judge Tosses Orlando Scandrick’s Restraining Order Against Draya
- Second Suspect in 10 Days Dies in Custody of Houston Police
- Tom Joyner' Cruise Supports Students Featured on Hollywood Divas Season 2
- Azealia Banks Angers Australia by Calling Crowds ‘Belligerent’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here