*The ClarionLedger.com reports that Sunday church dinners haven’t been the same at Oak Hill Baptist Church in northwest Mississippi. Fried chicken and soda are banned. Collard and mustard greens are seasoned with smoked turkey necks instead of pork.
And on other days, the parking lot doubles as a walking track.
“It’s not about the major things, but can you do several minor things? Can we make our congregation overall healthier?” said Michael O. Minor, pastor of the Hernando church, who is spearheading efforts to get more churches in the Delta to help reduce the state’s high obesity rate. “Folks think it’s hard to get some things done. This is very simple. People need ideas. …They want to do, but they don’t know how to do.”
As everyone from local families to the federal government try to get a handle on spiraling health care costs, a major challenge is the alarmingly high rate of obesity, particularly in the South. Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi are among 12 states with obesity rates above 30 percent, according to a new report by Trust for America’s Health, a public health research and advocacy group.
Read more at ClarionLedger.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Family Feud': Sexually Provocative Q&As Have Viewers Alarmed (WATCH)
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here