*“Rise of the Planet of the Apes” managed to hold off a strong opening of “The Help” to remain box office champ, pulling in $27.5 million.
“The Help,” starring Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer, earned a substantial $25.5 million to place second. As previously reported, Disney released the PG-13 drama on Wednesday in an attempt to build buzz heading into the weekend. That strategy seems to have paid off.
Based on Kathryn Stockett’s bestselling novel, the film grossed a combined $9.9 million on Wednesday and Thursday — boosting its five-day total to $35.4 million. It also garnered a rare A+ rating from CinemaScore audiences, which means the film should be benefiting from exceptional word of mouth.
Adult women were the driving force behind the $25 million movie’s success this weekend. According to Disney, 74 percent of the audience was female and 60 percent was over the age of 35.
To put things in perspective, Entertainment Weekly reports “The Help” opened stronger than both “Eat Pray Love” ($23.1 million) and “Julie & Julia” ($20 million) — two prior August releases that were also big hits with female moviegoers.
“If The Help‘s word of mouth is as flattering as CinemaScore says it is, the picture could very well become a $100 million smash,” writes EW’s John Young.
1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes — $27.5 mil
2. The Help — $25.5 mil
3. Final Destination 5 — $18.4 mil
4. The Smurfs — $13.5 mil
5. 30 Minutes or Less — $13.0 mil
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here