*Esther Gordy Edwards, the sister of Motown founder Berry, died Wednesday of natural causes. She was 91.
Gordy Edwards founded the Motown Museum to preserve the legacy of the label her brother created. She served as Motown’s vice president and chief financial officer during the company’s 1960s heyday.
“She was the most educated in our family and was the go-to person for wisdom in business,” Gordy says in a statement.
He adds, “Esther Gordy Edwards was a top Motown executive, businesswoman, civil and political leader, who received numerous awards, commendations and accolades. Whatever she did, it was with the highest standards, professionalism and an attention to detail that was legendary. She always came out a hero.
“Esther turned the so-called trash left behind after I sold the company in 1988 into a phenomenal world-class monument where Hitsville started -The Motown Museum.
“She preserved Motown memorabilia before it was memorabilia, collecting our history long before we knew we were making it. She nurtured and held it together through the years, protecting the Motown legacy for generations to come, which is only one of the reasons people all over the world will remember and celebrate Esther Gordy Edwards.
“Despite my sorrow, I will proudly continue to honor and celebrate her. She will always be my big sister and she will forever live in my heart.”
Her death marks the second big Motown loss of the week – Ashford & Simpson star Nick Ashford died on Tuesday.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here