*A considerably lighter and now bearded former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is out of jail and he wanted the world to know it, so he took to social media networking to announce the good news.
After spending 14 months in prison for a probation violation, the politician visited with family and friends, sent messages of gratefulness, and enjoyed his freedom.
Kilpatrick posted a photo embracing his mother, former U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick and his sister, Ayanna Kilpatrick Ferguson on Facebook.
“Just chillin’ with family. Family love! Great sendoff to my wife and children,” Kilpatrick wrote on his Twitter account this afternoon.
He was originally sentenced to 18 months after violating probation stemming from felony charges stemming from a text-message scandal. He was released from the State Prison of Southern Michigan, but his parole supervision will be transferred to Texas where he will rejoin his family.
“I am sooooo ready to see my wife and children!” he said via Twitter. “I’ve been rolling for 4 hours and just noticed that I am starving! What’s up wit the food?”
Excited, yes, but he will be treated like all other parolees and will have to check in with an officer every so often whether that’s in Detroit or Texas. Regardless of his restrictions, Kilpatrick is dedicated to Detroit and vowed to return to the city to tell his story.
“Detroit, I will return to speak frankly with you about this experience because it has affected all of us,” Kilpatrick said in a released statement. “I am beginning anew. I am looking forward. I have new dreams and aspirations. I have a new hope. My greatest desire is that my testimony will give anyone who will listen permission to dream of greatness and to push toward it even in the midst of failure.”
“I am expecting a breakthrough for all of us.”
Kilpatrick still owes the city of Detroit more than $800,000 of the $1 million he promised to pay as part of his punishment for the text message scandal
Read more here at the Detroit News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ciara Cheered, Russell Wilson Booed at Knicks Game
- BET Names Brie Miranda Bryant SVP of Unscripted Programming
- Marcus Anderson Cast in John Ridley Drama Pilot ‘Presence’
- Black Paranormal Investigators ‘Ghost Brothers’ Set at Destination America
- Future Calls BS on Ciara’s $15M Defamation Lawsuit
- Idris Elba Splits With Naiyana Garth After Night With Naomi Campbell (Report)
- Black Sheriff Gets KKK Vibe From Beyoncé's Super Bowl Halftime Performance
- Kanye West Defends Bill Cosby; Tweets Comic is 'Innocent'
- 'Family Feud' Contestant Can't Believe She's the 'Worst Ever' (WATCH)
- Target Wins Lawsuit Filed by Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here