UPDATE: Venus Williams has released a statement explaining her sudden withdrawal from the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York. She says she’s recently been diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome, an autoimmune disease that affects energy level and causes joint pain. She expressed disappointment about having to pull out of the event, but says she’s relieved to now have an explanation of her recent symptoms.
*After winning her first round match at the U.S. Open, Venus Williams has pulled out of the tournament due to an unspecified illness.
Venus, who came to the U.S. Open unseeded, ranked just 36th in the world after spending her summer withdrawing from hard-court tournaments because of a viral illness.
On Monday, Williams started slowly before beating Vesna Dolonts, 6-4, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Serena Williams cruised to her first round win against Serbian Bojana Jovanovski, posting a 6-1, 6-1 victory in less than an hour on the final match of Tuesday night.
Serena is seeking her fourth U.S. Open title after missing last year’s event while recovering from foot surgery.
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here