UPDATE: Venus Williams has released a statement explaining her sudden withdrawal from the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York. She says she’s recently been diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome, an autoimmune disease that affects energy level and causes joint pain. She expressed disappointment about having to pull out of the event, but says she’s relieved to now have an explanation of her recent symptoms.
*After winning her first round match at the U.S. Open, Venus Williams has pulled out of the tournament due to an unspecified illness.
Venus, who came to the U.S. Open unseeded, ranked just 36th in the world after spending her summer withdrawing from hard-court tournaments because of a viral illness.
On Monday, Williams started slowly before beating Vesna Dolonts, 6-4, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Serena Williams cruised to her first round win against Serbian Bojana Jovanovski, posting a 6-1, 6-1 victory in less than an hour on the final match of Tuesday night.
Serena is seeking her fourth U.S. Open title after missing last year’s event while recovering from foot surgery.
- Dwyane Wade Resigns with the Miami Heat.
- Red, White, and Bruised: Decades of Mistreatment Spark Anti-Patriotic Outrage Among Black Americans
- Charlene Crowell: SCOTUS Ruling Preserves Key Fair Housing Tool
- THE (07-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The Pulse of Entertainment: It’s the Beginning of a new era for the 'Terminator' Franchise with 'Terminator Genisys'
- Jason Derulo Channels King of Pop in New 'Cheyenne' Video - WATCH
- Diddy Won't be Prosecuted by DA for UCLA Altercation with Coach
- Karrueche Tran Reveals Her Father is Gay
- The Game Faces Three Years in Prison for Assaulting Cop
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers on the ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ of Andre Lyon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here