UPDATE: Venus Williams has released a statement explaining her sudden withdrawal from the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York. She says she’s recently been diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome, an autoimmune disease that affects energy level and causes joint pain. She expressed disappointment about having to pull out of the event, but says she’s relieved to now have an explanation of her recent symptoms.
*After winning her first round match at the U.S. Open, Venus Williams has pulled out of the tournament due to an unspecified illness.
Venus, who came to the U.S. Open unseeded, ranked just 36th in the world after spending her summer withdrawing from hard-court tournaments because of a viral illness.
On Monday, Williams started slowly before beating Vesna Dolonts, 6-4, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Serena Williams cruised to her first round win against Serbian Bojana Jovanovski, posting a 6-1, 6-1 victory in less than an hour on the final match of Tuesday night.
Serena is seeking her fourth U.S. Open title after missing last year’s event while recovering from foot surgery.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Baby Fat Shamed As 'Stuff Curry' Becomes Internet Favorite
- PA Judge Rules Bill Cosby Trial Can Proceed on All Charges
- Prince Fans Confused After Minnesota Declares ‘Beyonce Day’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here