UPDATE: Venus Williams has released a statement explaining her sudden withdrawal from the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York. She says she’s recently been diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome, an autoimmune disease that affects energy level and causes joint pain. She expressed disappointment about having to pull out of the event, but says she’s relieved to now have an explanation of her recent symptoms.
*After winning her first round match at the U.S. Open, Venus Williams has pulled out of the tournament due to an unspecified illness.
Venus, who came to the U.S. Open unseeded, ranked just 36th in the world after spending her summer withdrawing from hard-court tournaments because of a viral illness.
On Monday, Williams started slowly before beating Vesna Dolonts, 6-4, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Serena Williams cruised to her first round win against Serbian Bojana Jovanovski, posting a 6-1, 6-1 victory in less than an hour on the final match of Tuesday night.
Serena is seeking her fourth U.S. Open title after missing last year’s event while recovering from foot surgery.
- People of Note: Jazz at Lincoln Center Opens their 28th Season in the Bronx
- The Great American Phone Lease...
- THE (09-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kim Coles' Fairytale Wedding Set to Air on WEtv
- Brooklyn Woman Accepts Meager $10K for Cops' Harassment Over Dead Husband
- Tomica Wright Talks Eazy-E's Legacy in Unreleased Documentary
- Reginald Hudlin, David Hill Tapped to Give 88th Oscars a Makeover
- Will Master P’s Ex-Wife Drama Be Included in Reality Show?
- Gov. Nikki Haley to #BlackLivesMatter: You Don’t Have to ‘Yell and Scream’ (Watch)
- Dwight Howard Brings Loaded Glock to Houston Airport, Avoids Arrest
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here