UPDATE: Venus Williams has released a statement explaining her sudden withdrawal from the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York. She says she’s recently been diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome, an autoimmune disease that affects energy level and causes joint pain. She expressed disappointment about having to pull out of the event, but says she’s relieved to now have an explanation of her recent symptoms.
*After winning her first round match at the U.S. Open, Venus Williams has pulled out of the tournament due to an unspecified illness.
Venus, who came to the U.S. Open unseeded, ranked just 36th in the world after spending her summer withdrawing from hard-court tournaments because of a viral illness.
On Monday, Williams started slowly before beating Vesna Dolonts, 6-4, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Serena Williams cruised to her first round win against Serbian Bojana Jovanovski, posting a 6-1, 6-1 victory in less than an hour on the final match of Tuesday night.
Serena is seeking her fourth U.S. Open title after missing last year’s event while recovering from foot surgery.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Donald Trump Is the Master of the Blame Game
- THE (12-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Trump Stands By Claim that ‘Most’ Black Pastors Endorse Him
- Watch Bryshere 'Yazz' Gray Freestyle on 'The Talk'
- Travel Much? Don't Do These 12 'Offensive' American Things (Watch)
- Ringside Update/ Cotto vs Canelo: A Clash Of The Latin Titans
- Call for Contestants! 'Heel & Toe' Reality Show
- Compton Mayor Aja Brown and Rapper YG Host Community Thanksgiving Dinner [VIDEO]
- DMX Makes Sitcom Debut as Love Expert on ‘Fresh Off The Boat’ (WATCH)
- The Orlando Magic Give Thanks This Holiday
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here