*Alice Walker’s “The Color Purple,” a Pulitzer Prize winner in 1983 and still a widely taught and talked about novel, is finally coming out as an e-book, as are most of her other work.
But not through a traditional publisher, according to the Associated Press.
Open Road Integrated Media, the digital company co-founded two years ago by former HarperCollins CEO Jane Friedman, has reached an agreement with Walker to release the electronic version of “The Color Purple,” as well as the novels “The Temple of My Familiar” and “Possessing the Secret of Joy.”
The titles become available today (Sept. 20). On Nov. 22, eight more books will be published. The e-books will include author interviews, photographs and personal documents.
“I love reading a good book while flying through the air,” Walker said in a statement. “I’ve traveled all my life and have visited many of the faraway places I dreamed of as a child: India, Australia, Bali, South Africa, Iceland, etc. On each journey I’ve carried books. Books that taught me a lot, while engaging my sense of wonder, but that got heavier and heavier! Open Road promises to be a way for my books to accompany travelers on their own journeys of exploration and learning.”
Open Road has previously acquired e-rights to such best-sellers as Pat Conroy’s “The Prince of Tides” and William Styron’s “Darkness Visible” by offering royalty rates of 50 percent, double what traditional publishers usually offer, and by promising aggressive promotion.
“Open Road has the best technical know-how and best forward-moving energy. I love the way all the people I’ve worked with express and carry themselves: with confidence and enthusiasm but also with a sense of experience. They have a track record,” Walker said.
“If this were not enough, there is a sense, lacking often in publishing, of connectedness with the author, of all of us being in this adventure together, wanting it to be the best.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 18,500 Parents, Students, and Educators Rally to Demand End to 'Tale of Two School Systems' in New York City [PHOTOS]
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Universal Pictures’ Steve Jobs is a Brilliant Look into a Genius' Mind
- Raven Symone Hates Ethnic Names, Nicki Minaj Beef, Kardashian's Named 1st Family | BHL's This Week
- Jennifer Lopez to Host & Perform the '2015 American Music Awards'
- Instagram Users Post Pics of Male North West Look-alikes
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here