*The producer of Vesta Williams’first single recently shared with us his last conversation with the late singer in which he says she revealed a struggle with depression and that she was taking medication to treat it.
“She said that she was seeing a therapist because she had been depressed,” says David Crawford, a music industry veteran who produced Vesta’s first single “Once Bitten, Twice Shy.” [Scroll down to listen.] “This last conversation she really did sound depressed. In fact, her speech didn’t seem to be clear, and she said, ‘If I’m slurring my words it’s because of the pill she was taking for her depression.’”
Williams was found dead of a possible drug overdose at 6:15 p.m. Thursday in an El Segundo, Calif. hotel room, Los Angeles County coroner’s Capt. John Kades said, adding an autopsy will determine the cause of death, and a toxicology examination will take six weeks to be completed.
Crawford said Vesta had initially called him about two weeks ago requesting that he participate in her upcoming episode of TV One’s “Unsung.”
“She said ‘I’m going to call [the producers] right now and have them call you, but I had never heard from them, so I don’t know whether that happened or not,” he told EURWeb’s Lee Bailey in a phone interview on Sunday (Sept. 25). Crawford said he called her back days after that initial phone call to discuss an idea for a gospel song he wanted to produce for her.
“In the last conversation, she was a little more open about how she was doing and that’s when I found out she was actually living in El Segundo at a hotel and she was saying how tough things were,” he revealed.
Crawford said he never asked what was making her depressed because he didn’t want to pry. “I thought at the time I would eventually get the whole story. I just didn’t want to push.”
In the audio below, Crawford reveals more of her last conversation with Williams – including her declaration that she is drug free.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- The Pulse of Entertainment: MBK’s Glory2Glory Presents Livre’, ‘Jericho: Tribe of Joshua’
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here