“She said that she was seeing a therapist because she had been depressed,” says David Crawford, a music industry veteran who produced Vesta’s first single “Once Bitten, Twice Shy.” [Scroll down to listen.] “This last conversation she really did sound depressed. In fact, her speech didn’t seem to be clear, and she said, ‘If I’m slurring my words it’s because of the pill she was taking for her depression.’”
Williams was found dead of a possible drug overdose at 6:15 p.m. Thursday in an El Segundo, Calif. hotel room, Los Angeles County coroner’s Capt. John Kades said, adding an autopsy will determine the cause of death, and a toxicology examination will take six weeks to be completed.
Crawford said Vesta had initially called him about two weeks ago requesting that he participate in her upcoming episode of TV One’s “Unsung.”
“She said ‘I’m going to call [the producers] right now and have them call you, but I had never heard from them, so I don’t know whether that happened or not,” he told EURWeb’s Lee Bailey in a phone interview on Sunday (Sept. 25). Crawford said he called her back days after that initial phone call to discuss an idea for a gospel song he wanted to produce for her.
“In the last conversation, she was a little more open about how she was doing and that’s when I found out she was actually living in El Segundo at a hotel and she was saying how tough things were,” he revealed.
Crawford said he never asked what was making her depressed because he didn’t want to pry. “I thought at the time I would eventually get the whole story. I just didn’t want to push.”
In the audio below, Crawford reveals more of her last conversation with Williams – including her declaration that she is drug free.
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Black Lives Matter Interview with Lucy McBath
- Congresswoman Waters Applauds U.S.-Cuba Agreement to Open Embassies
- A Camping Checklist for the Prepared Parent
- Surprise! Prince Drops New Sexy Song: 'HardRockLover' (LISTEN)
- The Drought and Fireworks!
- Jordan Flaherty Explores Racial and Economic Justice Issues in New Documentary Series
- THE (07-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- See the Highly Anticipated WGN Thriller 'Underground' at the 2015 Essence Festival with Jurnee Smollett and Show's Other Stars
- OWN's 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Set Ratings Records
- Why Aren't Our Black Celebrities Supporting Black Theatre ... Financially?
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here