*Lionsgate is being sued for copyright infringement over a piece of music used in the documentary “More Than A Game,” which chronicles basketball superstar LeBron James’ rise during his high school days in Ohio.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Georgia federal court comes from Mason Hall, a songwriter who says he authored a copyrighted composition entitled, “We Ready,” according to The Hollywood Reporter
Hall is suing Lionsgate as well as what may or may not be a LeBron James label at Interscope Records (“Interscope Lebron LLC”) for using his composition in the film without license.
Before this lawsuit even touches upon the question of fair use, the plaintiff’s first task may be convincing a judge that the song in question is really his, notes THR’s Eriq Gardner.
During “More Than A Game”, James and his high school basketball teammates are shown to be chanting over and over in basic intonations the phrase, “We Ready,” during the warm-up of each game. In interviews shown during the documentary, it’s said that this “song” became adopted as a rallying cry for the team.
The “We Ready” tune got adopted into a rap song by YaBoy and put on the film’s soundtrack. James appears in the song’s music video.
But now, Hall says it’s his song and it was originally recorded by Archie Eversole, Jr.
Here’s the Eversole version.
Hall wants an injunction against further damage, including stopping Lionsgate from distributing the film. He’s also demanding profits from the movie, punitive damages of more than $1 million or maximum statutory damages for copyright infringement.
Lionsgate and James were unavailable for comment.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here