*Lionsgate is being sued for copyright infringement over a piece of music used in the documentary “More Than A Game,” which chronicles basketball superstar LeBron James’ rise during his high school days in Ohio.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Georgia federal court comes from Mason Hall, a songwriter who says he authored a copyrighted composition entitled, “We Ready,” according to The Hollywood Reporter
Hall is suing Lionsgate as well as what may or may not be a LeBron James label at Interscope Records (“Interscope Lebron LLC”) for using his composition in the film without license.
Before this lawsuit even touches upon the question of fair use, the plaintiff’s first task may be convincing a judge that the song in question is really his, notes THR’s Eriq Gardner.
During “More Than A Game”, James and his high school basketball teammates are shown to be chanting over and over in basic intonations the phrase, “We Ready,” during the warm-up of each game. In interviews shown during the documentary, it’s said that this “song” became adopted as a rallying cry for the team.
The “We Ready” tune got adopted into a rap song by YaBoy and put on the film’s soundtrack. James appears in the song’s music video.
But now, Hall says it’s his song and it was originally recorded by Archie Eversole, Jr.
Here’s the Eversole version.
Hall wants an injunction against further damage, including stopping Lionsgate from distributing the film. He’s also demanding profits from the movie, punitive damages of more than $1 million or maximum statutory damages for copyright infringement.
Lionsgate and James were unavailable for comment.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Amber Rose to Host Weekly VH1 Talk Show Produced by Dr. Phil
- NFL Vet Dana Stubblefield Charged With Raping Developmentally Disabled Woman
- Little Richard Still Alive Despite Internet Rumors...And Praising Prince
- Chris Brown: New Single ‘Grass Ain’t Greener’ Coming May 5
- 911 Records in Prince Probe Show June 2011 Call over Cocaine Concern (Report)
- Blac Chyna Robbed, Threatens to Sue if Sex Tape with Tyga Leaks
- Chamique Holdsclaw Talks Mind/Game Documentary, Personal Struggle With Mental Illness
- Twitter Trolls React to Old Navy Ad Featuring Interracial Family
- Arsenio Hall Denies Sinead O’Connor's Prince Drug Claim
- Parents, Students Stunned as 2,700 Detroit Teachers 'Call in Sick'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here