*New York, NY -Tamika D. Mallory, National Executive Director of Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network (NAN), has announced that the organization will start a petition drive immediately to stop the September 21st execution of Troy Anthony Davis.
NAN helped lead the movement for justice around this case when Mr. Davis was first sentenced and Rev. Al Sharpton visited Troy Davis on Death Row and prayed with him in 2008.
NAN played a major role in securing the previous three stays of execution and through its advocacy, NAN urged the Supreme Court to conduct hearings on the case.
Reverend Sharpton interviewed NAACP head Ben Jealous on his nationally syndicated radio show today about the case and discussed joint efforts. NAN intends to be present September 21st to demonstrate against the scheduled execution.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here