*The grandchildren of former South Africa president Nelson Mandela will star in a reality show, the family announced Thursday, according to the South Africa Mail and Guardian Online. It will likely air in 2012.
“The show will be about our lives as young, black women … We’re not wearing ‘I’m a Mandela’ T-shirts,” Swati Dlamini, granddaughter of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, told reporters in Johannesburg.
Her cousin Dorothy Adjoa Amuah, the granddaughter of the late Evelyn Mandela, added: “We are exposing Africa for what it is … with a new middle class of intellectuals … contributing to the economy.”
Dlamini and her older sister Zaziwe Dlamini-Manaway, and Amuah said the show would follow their lives as mothers and career women. They grew up in the United States but returned to South Africa for business.
“We’re definitely not the African Kardashians,” Amuah said.
“They clearly have a great love [for each other]. This may be part storytelling, part reality, except the story we are telling is real … it’s not going to detract from the dignity of Nelson Mandela,” Producer Rick Leed told the Mail and Guardian.
The show will also feature other cousins, but not their parents and grandparents.
Dlamini-Manaway, 34, has two children (a 10-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter), and another child due in January. She works for the family business, Mandela Dlamini Associates, and wants to launch a clothing line.
Dlamini, 32, is a single mother who is re-launching her career by setting up a foundation to focus on medical, education and housing issues.
Amuah, 27, has a law degree and MBA from Monaco. She works in the luxury brand market.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook
- Rapper Lil Boosie Says He Has Kidney Cancer
- Kim Zolciak Emotional in ‘DWTS’ Return Following Stroke
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here