*The grandchildren of former South Africa president Nelson Mandela will star in a reality show, the family announced Thursday, according to the South Africa Mail and Guardian Online. It will likely air in 2012.
“The show will be about our lives as young, black women … We’re not wearing ‘I’m a Mandela’ T-shirts,” Swati Dlamini, granddaughter of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, told reporters in Johannesburg.
Her cousin Dorothy Adjoa Amuah, the granddaughter of the late Evelyn Mandela, added: “We are exposing Africa for what it is … with a new middle class of intellectuals … contributing to the economy.”
Dlamini and her older sister Zaziwe Dlamini-Manaway, and Amuah said the show would follow their lives as mothers and career women. They grew up in the United States but returned to South Africa for business.
“We’re definitely not the African Kardashians,” Amuah said.
“They clearly have a great love [for each other]. This may be part storytelling, part reality, except the story we are telling is real … it’s not going to detract from the dignity of Nelson Mandela,” Producer Rick Leed told the Mail and Guardian.
The show will also feature other cousins, but not their parents and grandparents.
Dlamini-Manaway, 34, has two children (a 10-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter), and another child due in January. She works for the family business, Mandela Dlamini Associates, and wants to launch a clothing line.
Dlamini, 32, is a single mother who is re-launching her career by setting up a foundation to focus on medical, education and housing issues.
Amuah, 27, has a law degree and MBA from Monaco. She works in the luxury brand market.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here