*Planned Parenthood of Arizona will not appeal a state-court ruling denying its request to halt parts of a 2009 abortion law from going into effect, saying it needs to focus its resources right now on its core mission of health care, reports AZCentral.com.
As a result, the new provisions began Monday.
Planned Parenthood of Arizona’s president and CEO, Bryan Howard, said there were two reasons for the decision not to appeal: Financial and resource challenges demand that the organization focus on health care, and the court’s ruling indicated that the chances of success in this particular case were not strong.
“We need to focus on patients right now, not politicians,” Howard said. “We’re a health-care provider, not a law firm.”
Howard said about 50,000 Arizona women seek care from Planned Parenthood’s 13 clinics each year, about 10,000 of them for abortions. The rest are for a variety of health-care needs, including birth control, vaccinations and annual gynecological exams.
He said new abortion restrictions – both those from the 2009 law as well as additional ones passed this year – have created huge staffing hurdles.
Read more at AZCentral.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Derek Fisher, Ex-Wife Agree to Destroy Their Frozen Embryos in Divorce Settlement
- Starz Programming Shift Moves ‘Power’, 'Survivor's Remorse' to Sunday Nights
- Tyler Perry on Singing ‘Play That Funky Music’ With Prince (Watch)
- Jay Z Responds to ‘Lemonade’, Shouts Out Prince On ‘All The Way Up’ Remix
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here