*It didn’t take long for GOP Candidate Herman Cain to be asked about disparaging Tea Party comments made by veteran film star Morgan Freeman.
As previously reported, the Academy Award-winning actor called the efforts of the ultra-conservative group “a racist thing” during an interview last week on CNN’s “Piers Morgan Tonight.”
“Their stated policy, publicly stated, is to do whatever it takes to see to it that Obama only serves one term,” Freeman told Morgan. “What underlines that? ‘Screw the country. We’re going to do whatever we can to get this black man outta here.'”
The “Dolphin Tale” star went on to say the party’s agenda “just shows the weak, dark, underside of America.”
“We’re supposed to be better than that,” Freeman continued. “We really are. That’s, that’s why all those people were in tears when Obama was elected president. ‘Ah, look at what we are. Look at how, this is America.’ You know? And then it just sort of started turning because these people surfaced like stirring up muddy water.”
Cain made an appearance on Fox’s Your World with Neil Cavuto, where he addressed Freeman’s remarks.
“Well, first of all, I doubt if Morgan Freeman, with all due respect, who is a great actor, has ever been to a Tea Party,” Cain said. “Most of the people that are criticizing the Tea Parties…about having a racist element, they have never been to a Tea Party.”
When Cavuto attempted to make a joke about Freeman having presidential experience (starring as the commander in chief in “Deep Impact”), Cain said, “In a movie! This is real life out here on the campaign journey, man. This is not a movie.”
Cain, whose campaign is riding high after winning the Florida straw poll, was quick to say that he was not offended by the actor’s remarks.
“I just think that it is sad that they’re so short-sighted in really understanding what the whole Tea Party citizen movement is all about,” he continued. “I’m not offended by it, because it doesn’t slow down my momentum. It doesn’t slow down the reaction that I get from people.
“So, name-calling is something that’s going to continue in this, because they don’t know how to stop this movement. And this movement is making a big difference in politics, because a lot of the traditional Democrats are moving to the center or moving over to vote for conservatives. They’re taking another look at a Herman Cain.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Flavor Flav Offered to Give O.J. Simpson Back His Bronze Statue
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Javier Colon performs May 4, 2016 at Rams Head on Stage
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here