*Jay-Z announced Monday morning that the Nets will be called the Brooklyn Nets when the team moves from New Jersey to its new home next fall at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
The team’s official NBA web page has been updated, with a short, simple statement to reflect the change: “Jersey Strong, Brooklyn Ready.”
The hip-hop mogul also announced that he’ll headline a series of concerts — as many as eight — at the arena when it opens, the New York Daily News reports.
Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, owns a small stake in the Nets, according to My Fox NY. He grew up in the Marcy Houses, a public housing complex in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn.
“This is my foundation,” he said in an interview with Good Day New York’s Rosanna Scotto (available below).
“I’m really giddy right now,” he added, clearly excited by the announcement.
The Barclays Center is being built as part of the Atlantic Yards development in the Prospect Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn. The controversial project was announced in 2004 but has been mired in delays.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton Confirms 'Love, Marriage & Divorce Part 2' with Babyface
- Jaden Smith Flaunts New Tesla X, That's Not Even Available Yet
- Obama Informs Republicans He WILL Nominate Scalia's Replacement
- Hip-Hop Met Fats Waller in LA!
- Michael Jordan's Rep Responds to 'Crying Jordan' Memes
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Steph, Ayesha & Michelle Have Fun with 'Banana' Song (WATCH)
- TV Review: The Black Panthers Van Guard of the Revolution
- Wendy Williams Blasts Ciara Over $15 Million Future Lawsuit
- Must See! Barack and Michelle's Valentine's Day Greetings to Each Other (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here