*Whitney Houston is reportedly in final negotiations for a big-screen comeback in Sony’s remake of the 1976 film “Sparkle,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Jordin Sparks will make her feature film debut in the movie, and Mike Epps has also been cast.
Mara Brock Akil wrote the script and her husband, Salim Akil is directing. The latter worked with Epps on Sony’s “Jumping the Broom.”
Houston, meanwhile, hasn’t been in a movie since she traveled to Portland, Maine to make Penny Marshall’s 1996 “The Preacher’s Wife” opposite Denzel Washington.
“Sparkle” focuses on three sisters who form a musical group and then have to contend with the ups and downs of stardom. Debra Martin Chase is producing the Sony project. Production is scheduled to begin next month.
Tri-Star Pictures is distributing in association with Stage 6 Films.
- Why Aren't Our Black Celebrities Supporting Black Theatre ... Financially?
- Bobby Shmurda's Girlfriend Busted Smuggling Shank Into Rikers
- B.Scott Accompanies Laverne Cox to BET Awards
- Nick Cannon Weighs in on Mariah Carey and her New Man
- Jason Derulo Misjudged Potential of New Song ‘Want to Want Me’
- Watch Beyonce Frolic in Rainbow Gear to Celebrate Marriage Equality
- Emmitt Smith Backs Out of Judging Miss USA Pageant
- Serena, Venus Advance at Wimbledon, One Step Closer to Facing Each Other
- SF 49er RB Reggie Bush Puts MI Home on Market for $2.4M (Pics)
- NeNe Leakes, Betty White, Anthony Anderson Lead ABC’s ‘To Tell the Truth’ Reboot
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here