*Chesterfield, VA — Juniors and seniors in high school are typically the ones making official plans to attend college. Well, applying “early decision” to college isn’t what it used to be.
For one teenager, Jocelyn Marie Jones, her decision to accept a scholarship to attend the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill has come about three years early. Last week, the all-star athlete “verballed” that she will become a member of the prestigious UNC Tar Heels Women’s Basketball Team in 2016.
Standing at 5’10” at 13 years old, Jocelyn plays Guard for Matoaca Middle School in Chesterfield County, 20 minutes outside of Richmond, Virginia. She achieved several accomplishments such as her AAU club finishing first at the Boo Williams Nike Invitational and 8th at Nationals in the 8th grade division in Orlando, Florida. She also was the individual 2nd leading scorer at the Invitational. In winter 2010, she scored 400 points in 22 games, and in fall 2010, she scored 301 points where she received the Most Valuable Player Award. Jocelyn is no stranger to the UNC basketball program. She attended the Tar Heels Women’s Team Camp, and in typical Jocelyn form, led her team to an 8-0 record in the Middle School Division.
Her AAU coach states, “Jocelyn, as talented as she is, is one of the hardest workers I’ve seen. She has worked tirelessly on her skill development and has tremendous upside.”
It is no question that Jocelyn excels on the court; she also excels in the classroom. She is an honor student who works hard to balance basketball and maintain excellent grades. She is enrolled in a gifted program where she earns honor roll and takes advanced math classes. Naturally, the talented young lady has a desire to play in the WNBA, but also has future aspirations to attend medical school to become an orthopedic surgeon.
In accordance with NCAA rules, Jocelyn will officially sign with the UNC Women’s Basketball team during her junior year of high school. UNC is the basketball talent’s first choice.
- Fellas Define Feminism At MTV VMAs (Watch)
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Cynthia Bailey Could Be Demoted on 'Housewives' for Kicking Porsha
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here