*It’s natural to stare in wonder at our greatest athletes and wonder how they’d do in other sports, particularly after a generation raised on the astonishing athletic exploits of Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders – Jackson especially. It’s been over two decades since that devastating hip injury destroyed Jackson’s career, but we forget just how captivating Bo was, that astonishing blend of speed and power, a once-in-a-lifetime marketing wonder. It’s a shame that more people remember him now from that Tecmo game.
Could LeBron be the next Bo? Certainly, he possesses the talent. LeBron was, by all accounts, a spectacular football player in high school; the skills he does have – that remarkable coordination, speed, strength, size, quickness, and durability – would seem to translate perfectly for tall possession receiver in the NFL or (more likely) a high-profile tight end. It’s not all that hard to envision LeBron running the skinny post in a football game, not when you see him explode down the court on a fast break.
It’s not without precedent, either. Most people are familiar with the stories of Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham, two college basketball players with little-to-no football experience who ascended to become two of the best tight ends in their sport. At best, Graham and Gates were fringe pro basketball prospects – and James might be the most singularly talented basketball player ever.
Of course, it wouldn’t be easy. LeBron hasn’t run a route or taken a full-on football hit since high school. He would have to rebuild his body for the day-to-day pounding a football player takes (like Michael Jordan had to mold his physique for baseball) and adapt his natural athletic skills to an entirely different sport. Yet…if there’s anyone that could do it, it would be LeBron. And what a story that would be, in this era, with this sort of media coverage…it would dwarf the cultural significance Jackson had.
If it does happen, though, we should all hope that he goes to a team better than the Seahawks. That’s just not fit for a King.
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here