*Idris Elba’s mini-series “Luther” – a show so intense and disturbing it makes FX’s new “American Horror Story” look like “Sesame Street” – wraps its second season tonight on BBC America with Det. John Luther hunting a serial killer that actually turns out to be two serial killers – twins. [Watch the season finale trailer below.]
Elba, in the title role, is also busy trying to cover up his ward Jenny’s murder of would-be rapist Toby and compromising his fellow officers along the way.
And don’t count out Alice Morgan (Ruth Wilson). Luther’s creepy frenemy was last seen walking out of the detective’s flat after he refused to run away with her – and live together creepily ever after.
Because the mini-series is only four episodes, it’s not too late to catch up on the “season” before tonight’s finale at 10 p.m. (It repeats at 1 a.m.)
The British actor has won all kinds of accolades for the role, including Emmy nominations and an NAACP Image Award that is believed to have nudged the BBC toward renewing the series in America. But, had it not been for Elba’s critically-acclaimed portrayal of the drug kingpin Stringer Bell on HBO’s “The Wire,” some other actor would’ve been playing Det. John Luther.
“I left England before I had sort of reached the [acting] pinnacle, which oftentimes is working at BBC at the head of one of the top dramas; a tradition of great actors have been through that position of carrying a show for the BBC,” Elba tells EUR. “So I was here in America, working as hard as I could.
‘The Wire’ gave me a springboard — an international springboard, which the BBC sort of picked up on. We came together at a perfect time because the BBC wanted to do perhaps something a little courageous with their drama.
“And I wanted to step into an area where I also could produce some work. So it was a perfect marriage, and it also gave me the opportunity to do the one thing that I wanted to do for a long time, is head a drama at the BBC.”
Below, the promo for tonight’s “Luther” season finale and the making of the episode’s chase scene:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Glam-Horror 'The Neon Demon' is a 'Celebration of Narcissism'
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Miramax Acquires Whitney Doc, Johnnie Cochran Film Finds Director
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here