As previously reported, the gritty boxing drama about a left-handed boxer will star rapper Eminem in his first major movie role since the acclaimed 2002 drama “8 Mile,” and Antoine Fuqua (“Training Day”) will direct.
Written by Eminem and “Sons of Anarchy” creator Kurt Sutter, the film had previously been set up at DreamWorks, but that company put it into turnaround in August. Since then, the picture has been considered by a number of other studios and producers. The film will be distributed through Sony Pictures Entertainment. Production is expected to start early next year.
The film tells the story of a welterweight boxer who, despite being left-handed, becomes a champion, but then tragedy strikes. He has to make a comeback in his life and in the ring.
Eminem, a native of Detroit, has said that he sees the story as analogous to his own life, in that he has had to fight for what he has
achieved. Some reports have said he considers this a natural progression from “8 Mile,” in which he co-starred with the late Brittany Murphy, about a working-class rapper who rises from the streets to find success. That movie won Eminem a surprising amount of praise from critics and grossed more than $240 million worldwide.
Since then, the rapper has continued his music career and has been rumored to be in a number of movies, none of which came to fruition.
He did do a few cameos, including parts in the movie “Funny People” and the HBO series “Entourage.”
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Lauryn Hill Performs Nina Simone’s ‘Feeling Good’ on ‘Fallon’ (Watch)
- Azealia Banks Shades Erykah Badu for Having Multiple Baby Daddies
- Teyonah Parris’ Hair Becomes Storyline for ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Season 2
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here