As previously reported, the gritty boxing drama about a left-handed boxer will star rapper Eminem in his first major movie role since the acclaimed 2002 drama “8 Mile,” and Antoine Fuqua (“Training Day”) will direct.
Written by Eminem and “Sons of Anarchy” creator Kurt Sutter, the film had previously been set up at DreamWorks, but that company put it into turnaround in August. Since then, the picture has been considered by a number of other studios and producers. The film will be distributed through Sony Pictures Entertainment. Production is expected to start early next year.
The film tells the story of a welterweight boxer who, despite being left-handed, becomes a champion, but then tragedy strikes. He has to make a comeback in his life and in the ring.
Eminem, a native of Detroit, has said that he sees the story as analogous to his own life, in that he has had to fight for what he has
achieved. Some reports have said he considers this a natural progression from “8 Mile,” in which he co-starred with the late Brittany Murphy, about a working-class rapper who rises from the streets to find success. That movie won Eminem a surprising amount of praise from critics and grossed more than $240 million worldwide.
Since then, the rapper has continued his music career and has been rumored to be in a number of movies, none of which came to fruition.
He did do a few cameos, including parts in the movie “Funny People” and the HBO series “Entourage.”
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here