As previously reported, the gritty boxing drama about a left-handed boxer will star rapper Eminem in his first major movie role since the acclaimed 2002 drama “8 Mile,” and Antoine Fuqua (“Training Day”) will direct.
Written by Eminem and “Sons of Anarchy” creator Kurt Sutter, the film had previously been set up at DreamWorks, but that company put it into turnaround in August. Since then, the picture has been considered by a number of other studios and producers. The film will be distributed through Sony Pictures Entertainment. Production is expected to start early next year.
The film tells the story of a welterweight boxer who, despite being left-handed, becomes a champion, but then tragedy strikes. He has to make a comeback in his life and in the ring.
Eminem, a native of Detroit, has said that he sees the story as analogous to his own life, in that he has had to fight for what he has
achieved. Some reports have said he considers this a natural progression from “8 Mile,” in which he co-starred with the late Brittany Murphy, about a working-class rapper who rises from the streets to find success. That movie won Eminem a surprising amount of praise from critics and grossed more than $240 million worldwide.
Since then, the rapper has continued his music career and has been rumored to be in a number of movies, none of which came to fruition.
He did do a few cameos, including parts in the movie “Funny People” and the HBO series “Entourage.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Prince Talks Michael Jackson's Death, Chris Brown in Never-Published 2014 Rolling Stone Interview
- Dixie Chicks Cover Beyonce’s ‘Daddy Lessons’ Despite Song's Nashville Backlash (Watch)
- Prince’s Siblings Attend Packed Hearing; Judge Appoints Special Administrator
- Keke Wyatt's Emotional Cover of Prince’s ‘Diamonds and Pearls’ (Watch)
- Al Sharpton Rips Larry Wilmore’s ‘My N**ga’ Salute to Obama (Watch)
- Justin Lin in Talks to Direct Lebron James in 'Space Jam 2'
- New Daytime Talk Show ‘The Preachers’ to Get Summer Test Run (Video)
- Oprah Winfrey to Star in HBO Films' ‘Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks’
- Kerry Washington Pregnant With Second Child
- Steve Harvey’s Twin Daughters to Co-Host ‘Twin Hour’ Episode (Clip)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here