*ABC has picked up a new sitcom from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith.
The pair, along with long-time business partner James Lassiter, has sold the Untitled Romeo Project, with singer Anthony “Romeo” Santos tapped to star.
The effort, from ABC Studios and their Overbrook Entertainment, centers on a charismatic Dominican-American (Romeo) from Washington Heights, who tries to please his very traditional, immigrant father while also creating a life that reflects his new vision of the American Dream.
While the character differs significantly from the singer’s real life, the father-son relationship is reminiscent of Romeo’s with his father, notes the Hollywood Reporter.
If ultimately ordered to series, it would join a growing cadre of Smith projects, including films “The Karate Kid” and “The Secret Life of Bees,’ along with Broadway’s “Fela!” and TNT’s since-canceled “Hawthorne.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Black Male Valedictorian, Straight A Student, Barred from Walking Grad Stage
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here