*ABC has picked up a new sitcom from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith.
The pair, along with long-time business partner James Lassiter, has sold the Untitled Romeo Project, with singer Anthony “Romeo” Santos tapped to star.
The effort, from ABC Studios and their Overbrook Entertainment, centers on a charismatic Dominican-American (Romeo) from Washington Heights, who tries to please his very traditional, immigrant father while also creating a life that reflects his new vision of the American Dream.
While the character differs significantly from the singer’s real life, the father-son relationship is reminiscent of Romeo’s with his father, notes the Hollywood Reporter.
If ultimately ordered to series, it would join a growing cadre of Smith projects, including films “The Karate Kid” and “The Secret Life of Bees,’ along with Broadway’s “Fela!” and TNT’s since-canceled “Hawthorne.”
- Ice & Coco Expecting Baby Girl, Talk is Key to a Successful Marriage (VIDEO)
- Thursday's First Republican Debate Line Up Released
- Joe Jackson Out of the Hospital After Stroke
- Woman Sues Lee Daniels for $300M Claiming She Inspired Cookie Role
- Banned from Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral, Nick Gordon Mourns on Beach
- Jadeveon Clowney’s Dad Charged with Attempted Murder
- Two Dead, Several Hurt at After Party for Drake’s OVO Fest
- Former Detroit Lions RB Mel Farr Dies at 70
- Craig Robinson, Amandla Stenberg & Megan Good in NBC's 'Mr. Robinson' (Watch!)
- Lenny Kravitz Plays Through Severe Wardrobe Malfunction (NSFW Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here