*ABC has picked up a new sitcom from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith.
The pair, along with long-time business partner James Lassiter, has sold the Untitled Romeo Project, with singer Anthony “Romeo” Santos tapped to star.
The effort, from ABC Studios and their Overbrook Entertainment, centers on a charismatic Dominican-American (Romeo) from Washington Heights, who tries to please his very traditional, immigrant father while also creating a life that reflects his new vision of the American Dream.
While the character differs significantly from the singer’s real life, the father-son relationship is reminiscent of Romeo’s with his father, notes the Hollywood Reporter.
If ultimately ordered to series, it would join a growing cadre of Smith projects, including films “The Karate Kid” and “The Secret Life of Bees,’ along with Broadway’s “Fela!” and TNT’s since-canceled “Hawthorne.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here