*ABC has picked up a new sitcom from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith.
The pair, along with long-time business partner James Lassiter, has sold the Untitled Romeo Project, with singer Anthony “Romeo” Santos tapped to star.
The effort, from ABC Studios and their Overbrook Entertainment, centers on a charismatic Dominican-American (Romeo) from Washington Heights, who tries to please his very traditional, immigrant father while also creating a life that reflects his new vision of the American Dream.
While the character differs significantly from the singer’s real life, the father-son relationship is reminiscent of Romeo’s with his father, notes the Hollywood Reporter.
If ultimately ordered to series, it would join a growing cadre of Smith projects, including films “The Karate Kid” and “The Secret Life of Bees,’ along with Broadway’s “Fela!” and TNT’s since-canceled “Hawthorne.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- 'Ed Gordon': Bounce TV's First-Ever Primetime News Magazine Show to Debut Sept. 13
- Songs in the Key of Stevie Wonder and Imhotep Gary Byrd: Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship (EUR Exclusive)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here