*With his robot boxing drama “Real Steel” topping the weekend box office with an $8.6 million debut, co-star Anthony Mackie is already knee deep into his next project “Gangster Squad,” an account of the LAPD’s real life fight to keep East Coast Mafia types out of Los Angeles in the 1940s and 50s.
Sean Penn stars as real-life mobster Mickey Cohen. According to the studio, he “runs the show” in LA, “reaping the ill-gotten gains from the drugs, the guns, the prostitutes and—if he has his way—every wire bet placed west of Chicago. And he does it all with the protection of not only his own paid goons, but also the police and the politicians who are under his control.”
Josh Brolin and Ryan Gosling play LAPD’s Sgts. John O’Mara and Jerry Wooters, the cops who try to shut Mickey down.
And Mackie’s character? “I’m the black guy in ‘Gangster Squad,’” he told EUR, referring to his role as Coleman Harris, a switchblade-toting cop who proudly patrols one of the most crime-ridden areas of the city.
“I love the 1940s/1950s of American history,” he said. “Guys wore great hats and suits, women were like size 10s, you have amazing cars, like that was the beginning of the American muscle period, it was just an amazing time in this country. And I feel like the gangsters coming along at that time – like Mickey Cohen, like Al Capone, they seemed like fascinating fictional characters – fictional, because, who would take over a city? Really? Like if you tried to do that today…really?”
In the audio below, the New Orleans native says he had some studying to do about the City of Angels to absorb the mindset of an LAPD officer in the 40s and 50s – not to mention, and African American cop during the pre-civil rights era.
- Rain Pryor Talks Race, Richard Pryor and ‘Fried Chicken & Latkes’
- Exclusive: Dayo Okeniyi Has Pivotal Role in 'Terminator Genysis'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: The Malignant Hate Cancer Took Nine Lives
- Allen West: Confederate Flag is ‘Manufactured Political Crisis’ by Left
- Panel Photos: Beautiful Textures Presents 'Who Wore What,' BET Awards Fashion Recap [Photos]
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here