The tour is traveling across the country to raise awareness of hypertension in the African American community.
Yolanda is the national spokesperson for Believe in Healthy BP. The Believe in Healthy BP program is designed to raise awareness about a serious health epidemic contributing to the loss of thousands of African American lives each year—high blood pressure.1
Free Blood Pressure Screenings and Interactive Exhibit are Featured Highlights of the 2011 Yolanda Adams Health & Lifestyle Tour at The Circle of Sisters Event
Saturday and Sunday, October 8-9 from 9:30 AM – 5 PM
As part of the Believe in Healthy BP program, FREE blood pressure screenings and educational materials—including a Doctor Discussion Guide and Blood Pressure Log—will be offered at the event. An interactive exhibit, featuring a walk-through, simulated blood vessel, will also be on display and open to the public.
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is a serious chronic condition affecting approximately 76 million adults in the United States. Although anyone is susceptible to high blood pressure, certain ethnic groups are more likely to have the condition than others, including African Americans. Here are the facts:
- – An estimated 38% of African American adults in New York have high blood pressure. An estimated 29% of the total population in New York has the condition.
- – African Americans with high blood pressure have an 80% greater rate of death from a stroke and a 50% greater rate of death from heart disease than the general population.
- – African Americans with high blood pressure are four times more likely to have severe kidney damage.
- – Most African Americans will need to start on at least two medications in order to successfully lower their blood pressure, and approximately 40% of those who are taking medication for high blood pressure do not have it properly managed.
Believe in Healthy BP is sponsored by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
More information about the program is available at www.believeinhealthybp.com
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here