*The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ posh Governors Awards dinner, set for Nov. 12, has announced its first-ever Governors Awards Film Series, which consists of three representative films — one each for Oprah Winfrey, who is to receive the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, as well as the two Honorary Award winners, James Earl Jones and make-up artist Dick Smith.
The series kicks off Nov. 9 at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills with a showing of 1973’s The Exorcist, in which Smith’s work helped transform Linda Blair into a demonic, head-spinning, little terror, as well as appearances by Smith, Academy governor Leonard Engelman, fellow make-up artist Rick Smith and cinematographer Owen Roizman.
The following night, the program will offer Steven Spielberg’s 1985 “The Color Purple,” for which Winfrey received a best supporting actor nomination. Academy president Tom Sherak will introduce the evening, which will include actress Margaret Avery, who was also nominated for the film in the role of Shug.
The final feature, on Nov. 11, will be 1970’s “The Great White Hope,” directed by Martin Ritt, for which Jones picked up an Oscar nomination of his own. The program will include Sherak, director Phillip Noyce and actor Courtney B. Vance.
Tickets will be available to the general public beginning Nov. 1 at www.oscars.org and by mail.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Eddie Murphy and Girlfriend Paige Butcher Welcome Baby Girl
- Khloé Kardashian Reportedly Boots Ex’s Daddy from his Home
- Michael Strahan Tells 'Extra' He's Not Listening to Rumors About Him
- Monica Forgives Shannon, Philly Pushers Approve of Steph Curry
- John McCain’s Son Rips Old Navy’s Racist Trolls With Wife Pics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shares Personal Memories of Tupac’s Mom, Afeni Shakur
- Dwyane Wade Emotional After Learning He Was Prince’s Favorite Player
- A Legendary Night in Los Angeles with the Ojays' Eddie Levert
- Prince’s Half-Brother Alfred Says Sibling Trying to Get Him Declared Mentally Incompetent
- Family of Autistic Teen Mocked by 50 Cent Wants $1 Million (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here