*She plays zany Helen Wilson, the outspoken receptionist who works for a psychotherapist (played by Tracee Ellis Ross) in BET’s “Reed Between the Lines,” but Anna Maria Horsford recently told Sister to Sister magazine that the show is doing the Black community a huge public service–by addressing the issue of psychotherapy.
The actress said that it takes a little more than sitting in church on Sunday to help some of our brothers and sisters relax, relate and release.
Sometimes it takes a good couch session to cope with your problem. Talking it out with a professional, however, is largely frowned upon by many African Americans, and it’s a trend that Anna Maria is only too happy to address.
“The thing that excites me about this show is dealing—and hopefully we will be effective—dealing with the idea of therapy as an alternative for health problems. A lot of times in our culture, we think therapy is a bad word.”
Horsford said she is enjoying her role on the hit BET series, which also stars Malcolm Jamal Warner and Melissa De Sousa. She said the role of the outspoken receptionist allows her to explore her more eccentric side.
“It’s almost like a woman who has no control over what goes on in her mind and what comes out of her mouth,” the actress said. “Kind of like me in a way. She says the first thing that comes (to mind).”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Legend Continues Mathew Knowles, Beyonce' & Blue Ivy
- Gabby Douglas Hits The Gym For More Than 30 Hours Each Week
- Three White Athletes Charged with Alleged Rape of Black, Disabled Teammate
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here