*How can anyone honor Aretha Franklin properly by covering one of her songs?
She outdoes herself with her own music. Now that artists are getting ready to pay tribute to the legendary singer, one is stumped on which song to sing.
Chaka Khan, in all of her glory, admitted that this tribute is a bit of a challenge.
On Saturday, the singer will be on stage with Lauryn Hill, Ronald Isley and several others at the Rock Hall in Cleveland honoring Franklin as part of the American Music Masters series.
“It’s very special. I really don’t know what songs I’m going to sing. I just know one of them won’t be ‘Respect,'” she said with a laugh.
She’s been considering doing something jazzy, but she has her doubts that it would be the right thing to do, too.
Regardless, Khan will likely pick a lesser-known song from the artist.
“I try to pick songs that people know and love, but weren’t hits … because it shows the artist’s versatility.”
Khan a nominee for next year’s Rock Hall as a member of the Rufus band.
She said the nomination is an honor in itself.
“The fact that Aretha is there, if it never happens for me, she represents,” she told the Associated Press.
“It would be a real shame to have to wait. I’ve been doing this for 40 years,” said Khan. “But I’ve waited this long; I’m good I’m still alive, I’m still kicking.”
- Black Comedienne to Compete on New Season of 'Last Comic Standing' (WATCH)
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here