*How can anyone honor Aretha Franklin properly by covering one of her songs?
She outdoes herself with her own music. Now that artists are getting ready to pay tribute to the legendary singer, one is stumped on which song to sing.
Chaka Khan, in all of her glory, admitted that this tribute is a bit of a challenge.
On Saturday, the singer will be on stage with Lauryn Hill, Ronald Isley and several others at the Rock Hall in Cleveland honoring Franklin as part of the American Music Masters series.
“It’s very special. I really don’t know what songs I’m going to sing. I just know one of them won’t be ‘Respect,'” she said with a laugh.
She’s been considering doing something jazzy, but she has her doubts that it would be the right thing to do, too.
Regardless, Khan will likely pick a lesser-known song from the artist.
“I try to pick songs that people know and love, but weren’t hits … because it shows the artist’s versatility.”
Khan a nominee for next year’s Rock Hall as a member of the Rufus band.
She said the nomination is an honor in itself.
“The fact that Aretha is there, if it never happens for me, she represents,” she told the Associated Press.
“It would be a real shame to have to wait. I’ve been doing this for 40 years,” said Khan. “But I’ve waited this long; I’m good I’m still alive, I’m still kicking.”
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Watch Obama Meet Woman Named Weezy and Break Into ‘Jeffersons’ Theme Song
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here