*How can anyone honor Aretha Franklin properly by covering one of her songs?
She outdoes herself with her own music. Now that artists are getting ready to pay tribute to the legendary singer, one is stumped on which song to sing.
Chaka Khan, in all of her glory, admitted that this tribute is a bit of a challenge.
On Saturday, the singer will be on stage with Lauryn Hill, Ronald Isley and several others at the Rock Hall in Cleveland honoring Franklin as part of the American Music Masters series.
“It’s very special. I really don’t know what songs I’m going to sing. I just know one of them won’t be ‘Respect,'” she said with a laugh.
She’s been considering doing something jazzy, but she has her doubts that it would be the right thing to do, too.
Regardless, Khan will likely pick a lesser-known song from the artist.
“I try to pick songs that people know and love, but weren’t hits … because it shows the artist’s versatility.”
Khan a nominee for next year’s Rock Hall as a member of the Rufus band.
She said the nomination is an honor in itself.
“The fact that Aretha is there, if it never happens for me, she represents,” she told the Associated Press.
“It would be a real shame to have to wait. I’ve been doing this for 40 years,” said Khan. “But I’ve waited this long; I’m good I’m still alive, I’m still kicking.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Steven Ivory: If You're Tired of Starting Over....
- Omarosa to Host the 2015 African American Vanguard Awards
- Sorry Hillary: T.I Doesn’t Want a Woman as President
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Talks Pressure Playing O.J. Simpson in ‘Crime Story’
- Will Packer Talks 'Organic Diversity' of New 'Truth Be Told' Series (EUR Exclusive)
- A ‘Much Happier’ NeNe Leakes Reflects on Leaving RHOA, Possible Return
- 'Horrific Video' of 2 Friends Speeding to Their Death Released (Watch)
- Janet Jackson Scores Seventh No. 1 Album With ‘Unbreakable’
- Obama Impersonator Iman Crosson Hits Trump Where It Hurts
- Heartbroken Former Obama Supporter Gives Full Support to Trump [WATCH]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here