*How can anyone honor Aretha Franklin properly by covering one of her songs?
She outdoes herself with her own music. Now that artists are getting ready to pay tribute to the legendary singer, one is stumped on which song to sing.
Chaka Khan, in all of her glory, admitted that this tribute is a bit of a challenge.
On Saturday, the singer will be on stage with Lauryn Hill, Ronald Isley and several others at the Rock Hall in Cleveland honoring Franklin as part of the American Music Masters series.
“It’s very special. I really don’t know what songs I’m going to sing. I just know one of them won’t be ‘Respect,'” she said with a laugh.
She’s been considering doing something jazzy, but she has her doubts that it would be the right thing to do, too.
Regardless, Khan will likely pick a lesser-known song from the artist.
“I try to pick songs that people know and love, but weren’t hits … because it shows the artist’s versatility.”
Khan a nominee for next year’s Rock Hall as a member of the Rufus band.
She said the nomination is an honor in itself.
“The fact that Aretha is there, if it never happens for me, she represents,” she told the Associated Press.
“It would be a real shame to have to wait. I’ve been doing this for 40 years,” said Khan. “But I’ve waited this long; I’m good I’m still alive, I’m still kicking.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here