*Twitter lit up overnight with false reports that legendary entertainer Ruby Dee, and not Heavy D, had died yesterday.
Jeffrey Leavitt, representative for the 87-year-old stage and screen star, corrected the false reports on Wednesday.
Dee’s rumored death apparently resulted from confusion between her name and that of Heavy D, the popular rapper who died in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Tuesday at age 44.
The mix-up was then compounded when Rev. Jesse Jackson tweeted that Ruby Dee had died, and she became a trending topic on the social network.
Shortly afterward, Jackson corrected his post. “The news of the passing of Ruby Dee HAS NOT BEEN confirmed,” he tweeted, and urged his followers to pass the word.
- John Legend Taking His Talents to ‘The SpongeBob Musical’
- ‘Back to This B**ch’: Why Nicki Minaj Checked Miley Cyrus on Live TV
- Black Twitter Drags Rebel Wilson Over VMA ‘Stripper Police’ Bit
- Nile Rodgers Gets BMI Icon Award - EUR was on the Scene (WATCH)
- New Comic 'Raising Dion': Single, Black Mother with Superhuman Son
- Harris Co., TX Sherriff Classifies Black Lives Matter as ‘Rhetoric’ Leading to Deputy’s Death
- Terrence Howard Tweets He's Still Attached to 3rd Wife Mira Pak
- 9-Yr-Old Ferguson Girl, Killed as She Did Homework, Remembered on Sunday
- Richard Pryor Biopic Officially Adds Oprah Winfrey and Eddie Murphy
- Kobe and Shaq Squash Years Long Beef on Podcast (LISTEN)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here