*Veteran screenwriter, producer and director Hal Kanter died Sunday of complications of pneumonia in Encino, his daughter Donna Kanter told the Los Angeles Times. He was 92.
His numerous TV credits included creation of the landmark sitcom “Julia,” for which Diahann Carroll became the first black actress to star in her own sitcom whose character was a professional woman rather than a maid.
“He was considered one of the wits of the industry,” said Carl Reiner, upon learning of Kanter’s death. ”He was a funny elder statesman, and there’s nothing better.”
He also worked briefly on “All in the Family” and was a writer and producer on “Chico and the Man.” His association with the Oscars as a writer on the ceremony began in 1952 when it still on radio and continued for more than 30 years. In 1991 and ’92 he shared Emmys for writing duties on the Oscar show telecast.
In a career that spanned several decades, Kanter worked in radio, TV and movies. He wrote for Bob Hope and Bing Crosby and for Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin. Kanter directed Elvis Presley in “Loving You” which he co-wrote and he wrote the screenplaly for “Blue Hawaii.” He even collaborated with Tennessee Williams on the 1955 movie version of “The Rose Tatoo.”
Among other movie credits were George Cukor’s “Let’s Make Love,” with Marilyn Monroe and Yves Montand and Frank Capra’s Pocketful of Miracles.
He is survived by his longtime wife Doris, daughters Donna Kanter, Lisa Kanter Shafer and Abigail Kanter Jaye, a sister and a granddaughter.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Spelling Bee Kids Dab Their Way Through Early Rounds (Watch)
- Venus and Serena Advance With Identical Singles Scores at French Open
- Gucci Mane Released from Prison Four Months Early
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Moves On…With a Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here