*Jennifer Hudson has revealed that going to see her fiance in a wrestling match may have saved her life and kept her out of the house on the day her family was murdered in Chicago.
The Oscar-winner was in Florida with David Otunga on Oct. 24, 2008, when her mother and brother were shot to death in their Chicago home. Her seven-year-old nephew Julian King was reported missing but was found dead three days later.
Hudson, 30, is now telling Ebony magazine that she too could have been a victim of the murders had she not gone to see David in a World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) match.
“That’s one of the things that saved my life, because I could have been home with my mom then,” she said. [Otunga] wanted me to come out to Florida with him instead of going to Chicago. I flew out to see him; that’s why I’m still here. I’ve never said that before, and I can’t believe I just said that now. But I didn’t know.
“He was just like: ‘I’m going to this wrestling thing and it’s in Tampa. I’m going out there now, so you can come out there and see me versus going home.’”
While she was in Florida her mother Darnell Donerson, 57, and her brother Jason, 29, were brutally murdered. William Balfour – the estranged husband of Hudson’s sister Julia – has been charged with the murders.
Otunga and the “Dreamgirls” star now have a son together, two-year-old David Jr.
Also in the Ebony interview, Hudson dismissed rumors that she hasn’t married her fiance because they can’t settle on a prenuptial agreement.
“I don’t know where that came from, because that’s not the issue at all,” she says. “I thought that was so random. Even if that were the case, it wouldn’t be something we would discuss.”
In fact Hudson says the couple had agreed upon a wedding date before the family tragedy. She said they were looking forward to “the biggest, grandest wedding ever.”
But “after that happened, I was like: ‘I don’t know what I want.’ A lot of things have happened in my life. There are a lot of things that I need to get adjusted to before I do anything else. That’s how I feel about it.”
Hudson got engaged to Otunga shortly before the murders. She says her brother wasn’t initially supportive of the couple’s plans, thinking they were moving too fast.
“My brother had the biggest issue with it,” she says. “He cried. But I’m his baby sister, so of course he was going to have issues with it. [The rest of the family] would say: ‘Well, Jenny always seems to make the right decisions.’ I was being told this for a reason, so [I thought]: ‘We’re going to take our time. Obviously, I listened.”
Later explaining why she took on a light-hearted role in the upcoming comedy “The Three Stooges,” she says: “It’s so different from anything I’ve done. I play a nun. I feel like I’m getting my feet wet in comedy. Another reason I took this role is because my mom was a huge fan of ‘The Three Stooges.’”
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Woman in China Pushes Child to Safety Before Falling to Her Death on Escalator (Video)
- Future Scores First No. 1 Album with ‘DS2’; Tyrese's 'Black Rose' No. 3
- Sherri Shepherd Returning to 'The View' as Contributor
- Drake Claps Back at Meek Mill in ‘Back to Back’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here