*The film reboot of author James Patterson’s iconic Alex Cross character won’t hit theaters until sometime next year, but the movie has already prompted a nasty legal fight, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Producers of “I, Alex Cross,” in which Tyler Perry stars as the character made famous by Morgan Freeman in “Kiss the Girls” and “Along Came a Spider” (both adapted from Patterson novels), on Wednesday sued another set of producers who allegedly are not involved in the project but are demanding credit and to be paid.
Bill Block’s QED International, as well as entities JBP Business and SueJack, filed suit against Jan Korbelin, Marina Grasic and their Visitor Pictures claiming that Visitor was initially approached in 2008 to produce the crime drama but negotiations for a deal broke down and the parties went their separate ways. Now that the film is shot and set for release next year by Summit Entertainment, the lawsuit claims Visitor has resurfaced and is claiming “that they reached a binding agreement with plaintiffs relating to their involvement in the film, and that they are entitled to compensation and screen credit set for in the draft [deal].”
The plaintiffs claim Visitor has been threatening litigation. We’ve reached out to the defendants for comment and will update if we get a response.
The suit asks the Los Angeles Superior Court to deny Visitor credit or compensation for “I, Alex Cross” (the complaint says the film title is simply Cross) but seeks no money.
The complaint, filed by Gregory Korn and Gregory Gabriel of Santa Monica’s Kinsella Weitzman firm, seeks a declaratory judgment that Visitor and its principals have no involvement in the film.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Too Bad Girlfriends Don't Know Everything
- Suge Knight Loses Phone and Visitor Privileges in Jail
- Wiz Khalifa Inks Deal to Release Own Line of Weed Strains
- Stop Complaining About that Mole, This Could've Happened!
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- American Masters Tells the Story of B.B. King
- 'The Last Punch' Starring Tony Grant to Premiere at Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles
- Craig Robinson to Host Spike TV’s ‘Caraoke Showdown’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here