*(Via ajc.com) – Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has decided to retire at the end of the season, according to a person familiar with the decision.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the decision has yet to be announced.
Paterno has been besieged by criticism since former defensive coordinator and one-time heir apparent Jerry Sandusky was charged over the weekend with molesting eight young boys between 1994 and 2009. Athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz have been charged with failing to notify authorities after an eyewitness reported a 2002 assault.
Paterno decided to retire at age 84, in the middle of his 46th season with the Nittany Lions. He won 409 games, a record for major college football, but now, the grandfatherly coach known as “Joe Pa,” who had painstakingly burnished a reputation for winning “the right way,” leaves the only school he’s ever coached in disgrace
Read/learn more about this AP report at ajc.com.
Earlier, we reported …
Penn State Child Sex Abuse Scandal Biggest in College Sports History?
*(Via ajc.com) – Scandals of all kinds have tarnished college sports for decades, though what is unfolding at Penn State is hard to compare to any of them.
It’s simply on another scale, both in terms of the charges – former Nittany Lions defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky is accused of serial child sex abuse, which he denies – and the other person whom the case could bring down, Joe Paterno.
“That would be heartbreaking if it ended like this,” Miami coach and former Penn State player Al Golden said Tuesday.
Paterno is the winningest coach in the history of Division I football, less than two weeks removed from surpassing the late Eddie Robinson of Grambling with victory No. 409, and the embodiment of a program that has generally been viewed as upstanding.
“This is like having a scandal in the White House. That’s how big this is,” said Beano Cook, a college football historian and ESPN analyst.
Read/learn more of this AP story at ajc.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Serena Williams Advances to Second Round at Wimbledon
- Hot Rumor: The Entire ‘L&HH: Atlanta’ Cast Has Been Fired!
- WATCH Queen Latifah's Hilarious 'Ice Age' Freestyle (EUR Exclusive)
- Rihanna Posts Crotch Video of Her Performance in Glasgow (Watch)
- Chris Brown’s Long Suffering Publicist Quits After He Curses Her Out
- Man 'Pulls Penis Out' to Scan on Self-Service Tray (Yes, He's in Jail)
- Pres. Obama Tries to Name Everyone Who Died on ‘Game of Thrones' - For a Good Cause (Watch)
- Sheila E on Her Prince Tribute for BET and its Emotional Toll
- BET’s Debra Lee on Jesse Williams, D’Angelo’s Absence, Electrocution Concerns for Beyonce, More
- Ludacris to Play Guantanamo Bay on Fourth of July
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here