*Alicia Keys is hoping to educate fans on the plight of HIV and AIDS in South Africa through a new documentary.
“Keep a Child Alive with Alicia Keys,” set to debut Dec. 1 (World AIDS Day) at 9 p.m. on Showtime, shows the singer touring sites in Johannesburg and Durban to show how her health organization helps locals. Cameras filmed a pregnant Keys and five Americans as they visited South Africa during last year’s World Cup.
Keys is hoping the insider look at issues dominating Africa will encourage fans to lend their support to her Keep a Child Alive charity.
“Even if you never have been able to travel there, or if you never can, that doesn’t mean you can’t travel with us and really see it for yourself,” she told the Associated Press at a premiere for the film last night in New York. [Scroll down to watch the 4 min. trailer.]
Keys also spoke about being pregnant and empathic while filming the documentary. U2 singer Bono, also on hand at the premiere, chimed in and said: “She’s scary, isn’t she? She’s scary.”
Bono went on to say that Keys has “lioness energy” and that her role as a new mother won’t allow her to “let other mothers suffer.”
Bono said he met Keys when they recorded a cover of Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” – with dozens of other musicians – in 2001.
“I was terrified the moment I met her. I was shaking in my boots,” he said. “I was very moved by her singing of course, but what was interesting was the hard questions afterwards, and I think it’s those hard questions that she asks that lead her.”
Below, the trailer for “Keep A Child Alive with Alicia Keys,” debuting Dec. 1 on Showtime.
- 50 Cent’s Bankruptcy Statement Includes 7 Cars Valued at Half Mil
- Drake Uses PowerPoint Presentation to Roast Meek Mill in Concert
- Jersey Police Looking for Suspect in Shooting at Big Sean, J. Cole Concert
- WATCH: 'Legend of the Mantamji' Live Action Short
- Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara Put Up with Rude, Race Baiting Questions (WATCH)
- Darren Wilson Opens Up A Year After His Killing of Mike Brown
- Secret Service Expert 'Outs' Hillary Clinton's Marriage as 'Fake'
- D.L. Hughley: If Trump Says 'N*gger’ He'll be Elected Tomorrow (WATCH)
- Happy Birthday Mr. President! Today is Barack Obama's 54th B-day
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Cousin Admits Being Barred From Burial
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here