*The former football coach in the center of the Penn State sex abuse scandal recently spoke to the media and maintains that he is innocent.
Jerry Sandusky, who was questioned in a telephone interview Monday night on NBC News “Rock Center” by Bob Costas, was grilled about the explosive allegations of child sexual abuse. Sandusky said he is innocent and has denied all 40 charges of child sexual assault.
“Are you a pedophile?” asked Costas.
“No,” answered Sandusky.
“Are you sexually attracted to young boys?” Costas asked.
Sandusky repeated Costa’s question before answering, “I enjoy young people, I like being around them, but no, I am not sexually attracted to young boys.”
Sandusky did admit, however, that he has showered and “horsed around” with young boys. “I have hugged them and touched their legs,” he admitted.
Asked if there was anything he had done wrong, Sandusky said, “I shouldn’t have showered with those kids.”
Penn States’ wide receiver coach Mike McCreary previously stated that he encountered Sandusky in the Penn State shower room sodomizing a child in 2002. McCreary reported the child to be about 10 or 11 years old.
Sandusky denied the charge, but did admit he was in the shower with the young boy, but that they were just “horsing around.”
Meanwhile, the mother of the boy identified as “Victim Number 1” was interviewed on “Good Morning America” said her son broke down in tears when he heard Sandusky claim on TV that they were just “horsing around.”
The mother said her son was 10 or 11 when he first met Sandusky in 2005 or 2006, and the former coach lavished presents on him, including clothing, a computer, cash and trips, according to the 23-page grand jury report.
It also charges Sandusky with molesting the boy more than 20 times.
When she asked her son why he cried, he said, ‘Because I’m afraid. I’m afraid he’ll go free.”
The mother is angry that Sandusky is denying the charges.
“It sickens me that he is on TV making himself look more guilty.” The mother said that Sandusky had “a planned out strategy to groom children to molest.”
She went on to say, “I don’t know why a man 50 years old is showering with kids.”
The mother said she is “disgusted and sickened” to see Sandusky walking around as a free man while she and her son, who is now a teenager, feel they must hide to protect their anonymity. It is reported that the teenager is taking medication.
“It makes me really mad that my son can’t go out and have a normal life. He can’t go out and hang out at the mall, because he might run into Jerry. Sandusky gets to go to the mall and shop and do whatever he wants to do. That aggravates me. He should be in jail.”
The interview with Costas was Sandusky’s first public comment on the charges. He had previously maintained his innocence through his attorney, Joe Amendola.
Sandusky is free on $100,000 bail and is awaiting his first hearing on Dec. 7.
Costas then said that Sandusky has been accused of “monstrous acts” and that many in the public views him as a “monster.”
Sandusky said that he hoped people could “hang on” until his attorney could fight for his innocence.
Investigators on the case are working on fresh new leads. Reports are surfacing that there could be as many as 10 more victims coming forth in the case as the explosive story continues to develop.