*(Via abc news) – Leaders of a Georgia-based ministry that provided discounted groceries to needy families across the U.S. have been indicted and face a wide range of charges, including using organization funds to buy jewelry, athletic equipment, clothes and to make a down payment on a jet, says the Associated Press.
A 49-count federal indictment filed Tuesday against the two founders of Angel Food Ministries, their son and another employee includes charges of fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
Pastors Linda and Joe Wingo, the organization’s founders, were scheduled to make their first court appearance Friday afternoon, the prosecutor’s office said. It was not clear when their son, Andrew Wingo, or the employee named in the indictment, Harry Michaels, would appear. It also was not immediately clear whether any of the four was in custody.
“The Wingos feel, when all is said and done, that they will be vindicated,” Edward Tolley, an attorney for Linda Wingo told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “That’s how they feel. They ran this ministry for a number of years and they fed a lot of people. They’re very disappointed to be included in this indictment.”
Tolley did not immediately return a call and an email from The Associated Press seeking comment Friday.
Read the full story at abcnews.go.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Man Who Read Book at Beyonce Concert Explains; Reveals Title
- Video of Prince’s Emergency Landing in Illinois Released (Watch)
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers, Grace Gealey Share Honeymoon Pics from Europe
- Faith Evans, Eric Benet, Aloe Blacc Added to Prince Tribute in L.A.
- Adele Stops Her Concert to Praise Beyonce; Calls Her ‘Jesus F***ing Christ’ (Watch)
- Why You Suddenly Heard Prince Music on ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Scandal’
- 7-Year-Old Girl Wins Handwriting Competition With No Hands
- Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Confirm Pregnancy with Baby Bump Emoji
- Elise Neal, Eriq LaSalle Join Hugh Jackman in ‘Wolverine 3’
- La La Anthony, Monica Calhoun, Yvette Nicole Brown Join BET’s 'New Edition: The Movie'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here