*(Via abc news) – Leaders of a Georgia-based ministry that provided discounted groceries to needy families across the U.S. have been indicted and face a wide range of charges, including using organization funds to buy jewelry, athletic equipment, clothes and to make a down payment on a jet, says the Associated Press.
A 49-count federal indictment filed Tuesday against the two founders of Angel Food Ministries, their son and another employee includes charges of fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
Pastors Linda and Joe Wingo, the organization’s founders, were scheduled to make their first court appearance Friday afternoon, the prosecutor’s office said. It was not clear when their son, Andrew Wingo, or the employee named in the indictment, Harry Michaels, would appear. It also was not immediately clear whether any of the four was in custody.
“The Wingos feel, when all is said and done, that they will be vindicated,” Edward Tolley, an attorney for Linda Wingo told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “That’s how they feel. They ran this ministry for a number of years and they fed a lot of people. They’re very disappointed to be included in this indictment.”
Tolley did not immediately return a call and an email from The Associated Press seeking comment Friday.
Read the full story at abcnews.go.com.
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Janet Jackson Drops Missy Elliott Collabo at ‘Unbreakable’ Tour Launch (Clips)
- Bay Area Man Finds Twenty Dollars and Uses it to Win $1 Million!
- Health: Is Your Pee Trying to Tell You Something?
- Soul of the US Open: Serena Walks Over; Venus Grinds to Victory; Sloane Stephens Dismissed Early
- New James Bond Author Says Idris Elba is ‘Too Street’ to Play 007
- Bill O’Reilly Vows to Put #BlackLivesMatter Out of Business, Compares Group to KKK (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here