*Sunday’s penultimate episode of TLC’s “All-American Muslim” was filmed on the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and features a group of Muslim-Americans in middle America discussing the memories and difficult emotions conjured up that day.
The reality show, which follows five American Muslim families in Dearborn, Michigan, site of the largest concentration of American Muslims in the country, made headlines earlier this month when a conservative Christian group called on advertisers to boycott the series. They called the show “propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda’s clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values.”
In July, EURweb caught up with cast member Suehaila Amen, who explained the real intent of the series.
“Each of our families embraces our culture, our faith, in a different capacity in our daily lives. In watching the show, you’re going to see this truly as reality,” she said. “You’re going to see the heart. You are going to see the day to day emotions that I think every American faces in their daily life, and I think every Muslim can, too, understand that this is what’s real. We really are different in our own right and our own ways, and that’s the beauty about being in this country.”
Nevertheless, home improvement chain Lowe’s and travel planning site Kayak.com announced that they were removing ads, which in turn, led to backlash against the companies.
Below, cast member Mike Jaffar, a Muslim American police officer in Dearborn, joins other cast members weigh in on the numerous conservative attacks on Islam and the irrational fear of Sharia law taking over the U.S. judicial system.
“All-American Muslim” airs Sunday night at 10 p.m. on TLC. Watch clips from the 9/11 episode below.
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here