*Sunday’s penultimate episode of TLC’s “All-American Muslim” was filmed on the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and features a group of Muslim-Americans in middle America discussing the memories and difficult emotions conjured up that day.
The reality show, which follows five American Muslim families in Dearborn, Michigan, site of the largest concentration of American Muslims in the country, made headlines earlier this month when a conservative Christian group called on advertisers to boycott the series. They called the show “propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda’s clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values.”
In July, EURweb caught up with cast member Suehaila Amen, who explained the real intent of the series.
“Each of our families embraces our culture, our faith, in a different capacity in our daily lives. In watching the show, you’re going to see this truly as reality,” she said. “You’re going to see the heart. You are going to see the day to day emotions that I think every American faces in their daily life, and I think every Muslim can, too, understand that this is what’s real. We really are different in our own right and our own ways, and that’s the beauty about being in this country.”
Nevertheless, home improvement chain Lowe’s and travel planning site Kayak.com announced that they were removing ads, which in turn, led to backlash against the companies.
Below, cast member Mike Jaffar, a Muslim American police officer in Dearborn, joins other cast members weigh in on the numerous conservative attacks on Islam and the irrational fear of Sharia law taking over the U.S. judicial system.
“All-American Muslim” airs Sunday night at 10 p.m. on TLC. Watch clips from the 9/11 episode below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Coastal Town Being 'Targeted' by Great White Sharks
- NFL Great Jim Brown Celebrates 80th Birthday with Celebs and Family
- Meek Mill Sentenced to House Arrest & Six Years Probation
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here