*Blues legend Etta James is said to be terminally ill and has little time left after battling leukemia, dementia and kidney failure for several years now, according to the singer’s live-in physician.
Dr. Elaine James—who is not related to the 73-year-old Grammy winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer but has been providing the singer with around-the-clock care at the latter’s home—told SoCal’s Riverside Press-Enterprise that medical experts informed the performer two weeks ago that her chronic leukemia, a cancer of the blood and bone marrow, was incurable.
“I am Southern and Christian and would just ask for the prayers of her fans and friends,” the physician, who hails from South Carolina, told the newspaper following a court hearing regarding James’ $1 million estate.
The doctor says she wanted to go public to let James’ fans know the severity of her condition.
“They know she’s been sick, but not how sick,” she said.
James is barely able to communicate at this point, the physician added.
The probate proceeding in Riverside Superior Court was being held to determine whether legal authority over James’ affairs should be transferred from husband Artis Mills to her son, Donto James, who’s expressed concerns over his mother’s treatment and care.
Another hearing is set for Monday, but a settlement is reportedly in the works.
- THE (07-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here