*Rap mogul Jay-Z said today he will perform two concerts at Carnegie Hall in February to raise money for his scholarship foundation and United Way of New York City – and he’s set the ticket prices from $500 to $2,500 in a deliberate attempt to woo wealthy individuals, such as hedge-fund executives and others tied to Wall Street.
“This is about connecting people to help other people,” said Jay-z in an interview today.
“I want to do my part to make sure everyone has an opportunity,” he said. “It’s really a shame when someone has drive and really wants to further their education, and they’re unable to because of their financial situation.”
The Carnegie Hall shows will mark the first time a major solo hip-hop act has been booked for an entire show at the storied Manhattan venue, according to Clive Gillinson, Carnegie Hall’s executive and artistic director.
Most of the tickets for the Feb. 6 and 7 shows will go on sale Monday. A portion of the tickets will be offered to the public at much lower prices beginning Jan. 30.
Jay-Z’s Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation and United Way will split the proceeds. The rapper launched his charity on 2002 with the help of his mother, Gloria Carter. His nonprofit has given away more than $1.3 million to help 750 needy students attend college.
The United Way works with families and schools to boost the reading proficiency of children from low-income neighborhoods.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Poet Pens Stunning Piece About Appropriating Black Slang (WATCH)
- Oprah's Not Worried About Flack From Church Folk
- Prince Entered Treatment Program for Hip Pain & Medication Use
- Kehoe Brothers to Direct R-rated Action-comedy for Tyler Perry
- WATCH President Obama Crack on Trump, Bernie and More at WHCD
- Ray and Janay Rice Announce they Are Expecting Baby Number 2
- Fox Gives First Look at Fierce Films for 2016
- Derrick Rose Rape Accuser Pleads Not to Have Identity Revealed
- A Poisonous Spider Down Under Bites a Man...Down Under!
- A Broke Pilar Sanders Pleads with Court to Continue Her Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here