*Now that Oprah Winfrey is not confined to the four walls of her TV studio, she’s out and about meeting folk and building some strong international relationships.
This week, the media mogul is visiting the president of Haiti, Michel Martelly.
His hope is to partner with Winfrey to rebuild the country, attract investors and ultimately, make her an ambassador for the island nation.
“I am hoping she will serve as an ambassador for Haiti, to help us get the kind of assistance needed,” Martelly said during the Caricom-Cuba summit, a trade conference where Caribbean leaders advocate for their needs.
She arrived on Sunday morning and met with the president on Monday. She also visited a settlement camp run by actor Sean Penn.
Being the proactive person he is, Martelly, who used to perform under the name “Sweet Micky” is planning to go on a world tour to raise money for children’s education.
“I will get on it and dance and have great groups of entertainers to perform to help Haiti, including Wyclef [Jean] and Oprah and have others play my music and sing my songs,” he said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Parents, Students Stunned as 2,700 Detroit Teachers 'Call in Sick'
- Beyonce Shows Up at the Met Gala Without U-Know-Who (WATCH)
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur-Davis Dies at 69
- No Biggie. White House Shrugs off Recent N-word Controversy
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Meet the Black Businessman Giving Ex-Cons, Veterans, and Homeless Support for Success
- THE (05-03-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ringside Update/Ortiz vs Berto II The Second Chapter
- Johnny Gill Says New Album to Accompany New Edition Biopic
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here