*Now that Oprah Winfrey is not confined to the four walls of her TV studio, she’s out and about meeting folk and building some strong international relationships.
This week, the media mogul is visiting the president of Haiti, Michel Martelly.
His hope is to partner with Winfrey to rebuild the country, attract investors and ultimately, make her an ambassador for the island nation.
“I am hoping she will serve as an ambassador for Haiti, to help us get the kind of assistance needed,” Martelly said during the Caricom-Cuba summit, a trade conference where Caribbean leaders advocate for their needs.
She arrived on Sunday morning and met with the president on Monday. She also visited a settlement camp run by actor Sean Penn.
Being the proactive person he is, Martelly, who used to perform under the name “Sweet Micky” is planning to go on a world tour to raise money for children’s education.
“I will get on it and dance and have great groups of entertainers to perform to help Haiti, including Wyclef [Jean] and Oprah and have others play my music and sing my songs,” he said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Roots' Star Anika Noni Rose: 'We Need To Hear About Our Holocaust' [EUR Exclusive]
- Kelly Rowland Talks Beyonce, Being 'Psycho' Mom, Her Mother's Death (Watch)
- Are Micro-credentials the Next Best Thing for a CV? (Infographic)
- Tamar Braxton Fired, BET Award Nominations, Madonna Prince Tribute and More! | BHL's This Week
- TV One Renews Docu-Series 'Rickey Smiley For Real'
- NBAer Richard Jefferson’s Reckless Spending Caused Loss of Millions: Ex-Manager
- Vivian Green Releases Music Video for 'Grown Folks Music'
- Black Greek Lesbians Hijack Traditions of Omega Psi Phi
- 'The Haves and The Have Nots' Return with a Bang [WATCH]
- 'One More Time' - New CD by Larry Buford
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here