*In a move that goes against standard practice in the entertainment industry, singer Patti Austin has no problem speaking openly about her decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery in 2005 and gain control of her health.
“That was something that I was in denial about,” Austin tells EURweb exclusively regarding the detrimental effects of being overweight.
Both of Austin’s parents were obese and eventually passed away from diseases linked to excess weight. Her mother died of complications from a stroke; her father of complications from diabetes. Patti was suffering from type 2 diabetes and asthma when her doctor said she was at risk for a stroke and ordered her to have the surgery.
“I went through the process alone. I didn’t claim anything until I had accomplished what I wanted to accomplish with it,” she said of the surgery, which dropped her weight from 300 to about 180 during the first year. “And once I had, I felt that I was sufficiently successful enough to share that with other people.”
Austin, whose current album is titled “Sound Advice”, says no one who undergoes gastric bypass surgery, no matter how famous, should be ashamed of sharing the news with other people — or try to convince folk that they lost the weight strictly through “portion control” and “pilates.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young Because He Impregnated His Ex
- Deion Sanders Hit With $1M Lawsuit Over Assault at Son's School
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here