*In a move that goes against standard practice in the entertainment industry, singer Patti Austin has no problem speaking openly about her decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery in 2005 and gain control of her health.
“That was something that I was in denial about,” Austin tells EURweb exclusively regarding the detrimental effects of being overweight.
Both of Austin’s parents were obese and eventually passed away from diseases linked to excess weight. Her mother died of complications from a stroke; her father of complications from diabetes. Patti was suffering from type 2 diabetes and asthma when her doctor said she was at risk for a stroke and ordered her to have the surgery.
“I went through the process alone. I didn’t claim anything until I had accomplished what I wanted to accomplish with it,” she said of the surgery, which dropped her weight from 300 to about 180 during the first year. “And once I had, I felt that I was sufficiently successful enough to share that with other people.”
Austin, whose current album is titled “Sound Advice”, says no one who undergoes gastric bypass surgery, no matter how famous, should be ashamed of sharing the news with other people — or try to convince folk that they lost the weight strictly through “portion control” and “pilates.”
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Woman in China Pushes Child to Safety Before Falling to Her Death on Escalator (Video)
- Future Scores First No. 1 Album with ‘DS2’; Tyrese's 'Black Rose' No. 3
- Sherri Shepherd Returning to 'The View' as Contributor
- Drake Claps Back at Meek Mill in ‘Back to Back’ (Listen)
- Tyler Perry ‘Keeping the Peace' Between Houston, Brown Families
- WATCH: 'Mega Fest of the West' takes overs Long Beach with Celebs & Gospel Artists!
- Raven-Symone Says Caitlyn Jenner’s Moving ‘Too Fast, Too Soon’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here