*VH1 may have honored singing divas at its annual ‘VH1 Divas” special, but the night was all about collaboration, reports Billboard. 50 Cent was hand-in-hand with Chaka Khan on the red carpet; Mavis Staples screamed her love for Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine and Ledisi gushed over meeting Martha Reeves.
“It’s exciting. You see me, I’m standing next to the fire,” 50 Cent said, while Khan laughed.
The rapper said he called the veteran singer and told her he wanted to be her date. He said he and Khan are working together on music and movie projects. “Hopefully we’ll be able to put together some movie things because her life story is epic,” he said. “I want to be a part of it.”
Khan added that 50 Cent is “savvy” and she’s excited to learn from the younger generation. “(He) knows the ropes in a way I don’t, in a way I’m looking to. He’ll be giving me a lot of direction in the future,” she said.
Another unconventional pair was Welch and Staples, who told the London singer “I just love you so much.”
“I saw you the other night on ‘X Factor.’ I saw you. I said there she go that machine!” Staples said, laughing along with Welch.
Inside the event, there were more pairings, from Mary J. Blige, Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson to Khan, Staples, Jessie J and Erykah Badu. Other performers included Jill Scott, Boyz II Men, Marsha Ambrosius and Estelle.
The “VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul” special, which aired Monday, honored cities where soul music has thrived, like Philadelphia, Detroit, Memphis, Chicago and London.
Welch joined Nas, Wanda Jackson and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings to pay tribute to the late Amy Winehouse, culminating with Welch’s stirring performance of Winehouse’s “Back to Black.”
“It didn’t matter where she was from or what color her skin was, because Amy Winehouse was my true soul sister,” Nas said in the concert special. “I’m here to honor a woman who had enough soul to last a lifetime.”
View more red carpet pics below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here