*Vin Diesel has confirmed there will be a six and seventh movie in the “Fast and Furious” franchise.
The star and a producer of Universal’s decade-long franchise said that during the planning process of the sixth movie, the creative team – which includes director Justin Lin and screenwriter Chris Morgan – realized that they would need a seventh movie to tell their story. The sixth and seventh are being written simultaneously, he said.
“With the success of this last one, and the inclusion of so many characters, and the broadening of scope, when we were sitting down to figure out what would fit into the real estate of number six, we didn’t have enough space,” Diesel told The Hollywood Reporter.
“Fast Five” moved the franchise from the genre of car-racing adventure to action-adventure heist, while garnering the best reviews in the franchise’s history and grossing an astonishing $626 million worldwide.
Apart from reuniting supporting characters from previous movies, it added star power in the form of Dwayne Johnson. A coda at the end of the movie teases the return of a character played by Eva Mendes last seen in “2 Fast 2 Furious” as well as the return of Michelle Rodriguez.
“We have to pay off this story, we have to service all of these character relationships, and when we started mapping all that out it just went beyond 110 pages,” Diesel explained. “The studio said, ‘You can’t fit all that story in one damn movie!’”
Diesel did not reveal details on whether the two movies would be two-parters or two standalone movies.
The actor returned to the franchise with the series’ fourth outing after appearing in an end-of-movie cameo in the third movie. The move proved so popular that it paved the way for the return of Diesel and original star Paul Walker.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- NeNe Leakes Announces She's Leaving 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- Child Dies on Father's Day After Dad Leaves Her in Hot Car to Go Drinking
- Jada Pinkett Smith 'Magic Mike XXL' & Objectification (Watch)
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here