*The New York Daily News is reporting that Aretha Franklin’s wedding is off.
Today, the Queen of Soul announced that she and William (Willie) Wilkerson, 64, are not going through with the summer wedding they had planned.
Franklin’s publicist released a joint statement, signed “Aretha and Will” that said: “Will and I have decided we were moving a little too fast, and there were a number of things that had not been thought through thoroughly. There will be no wedding at this time.”
The couple added: “We will not comment on it any further because of the very personal and sensitive nature of it. We appreciate all of the many well wishes from friends.”
This marks at least the second time that Franklin, 69, was briefly engaged to Wilkerson, a retired firefighter. The singing legend was reportedly engaged to Wilkerson for a bit in 1987, about the same time the couple appeared on the cover of Jet magazine.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- T.I. New York City Concert Shooting: 1 Dead, 3 Wounded
- Generation Rent: How Young Families are Adapting to Apartment Living
- THE (05-26-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EUR on the Scene: 2nd Annual Alma Del Barrio Salsa Festival
- People of Note: Paying Tribute to Michael
- The Legend Continues Mathew Knowles, Beyonce' & Blue Ivy
- Gabby Douglas Hits The Gym For More Than 30 Hours Each Week
- Three White Athletes Charged with Alleged Rape of Black, Disabled Teammate
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here