*The New York Daily News is reporting that Aretha Franklin’s wedding is off.
Today, the Queen of Soul announced that she and William (Willie) Wilkerson, 64, are not going through with the summer wedding they had planned.
Franklin’s publicist released a joint statement, signed “Aretha and Will” that said: “Will and I have decided we were moving a little too fast, and there were a number of things that had not been thought through thoroughly. There will be no wedding at this time.”
The couple added: “We will not comment on it any further because of the very personal and sensitive nature of it. We appreciate all of the many well wishes from friends.”
This marks at least the second time that Franklin, 69, was briefly engaged to Wilkerson, a retired firefighter. The singing legend was reportedly engaged to Wilkerson for a bit in 1987, about the same time the couple appeared on the cover of Jet magazine.
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Funeral Filled with Family, Music and Spirituality
- Teddy Pendergrass, Angie Stone Team For Posthumous ‘Love TKO’ Duet (LISTEN)
- Is the Media Still on that 'Make Black People Look Bad' Thing?
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here