*His mama named him Jerry Brooks, but Hollywood knows him as J.B. Smoove, the veteran stand-up comic who is perhaps best known for playing Larry David’s freeloader house guest in HBO’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”
The 47-year-old actor, writer and comedian now finds himself in the upcoming NBC series “Bent,” a romantic comedy about a laid-back surfer contractor Pete (David Walton) and his no-nonsense client Alex (Amanda Peet) who clash – and ultimately influence each other’s lives for the better – as they renovate her Venice, Calif. home.
Smoove, also an alum of “Russell Simmons Def Comedy Jam,” “Pootie Tang” and “The Chris Rock Show,” was added to the series at the last minute as Clem Patterson, “an opinionated electrician and wingman” for Pete.
“My character Clem, I dig this guy because the cool thing about when you jump into a character that you’re not used to playing, you get a chance to actually walk through it,” he told critics at the Television Critics Association Press Tour Friday in Pasadena. “We have time to gel, we have time to create these forks in the road where we kind of find out about a character as you go along. And that has happened, which is fun.
In the audio below, Smoove talks about his time as Leon on “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” and transitioning from a largely improvisational series to his current scripted gig. (The “Bent” premiere date has yet to be announced.)
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here